Friday, November 09, 2007

Round Up

Yesterday I learned that if you type in a URL and place a question mark at the end of the URL you will get the most updated version of that webpage. I had to do this for my blog. I updated the entire blog with new colors,etc., but it wasn't showing. Hopefully it will be okay today.

For all of you cereal lovers out there here is a very cool quiz from the folks at Mental Floss magazine. I didn't do so well, but I didn't really expect to since I'm not now or ever have been a cereal eater.

Very good Wikipedia page on placeholder names.

Another Wikipedia offering: Parliament Street, Exeter, England-the world's narrowest street.

And yes, one more from Wikipedia. School bus yellow . And since I'm speaking about color how about Golden Gate International Orange?

Okay, I have a confession to make. My heart has strayed. I'm a cheater. I am lusting in my heart for another. You want a name; I'll give you a name. I must atone for my sin in some way. The name, the name is Ranunculus. I know, I'm nothing but a hussey, cheating on my beloved peonies that way, but I can't help myself. I just can't .

ACLU Surveillance Society Clock.

Shhh....The State Department has a blog.

Oh how I love, love, love Anthropologie. If I ever won a contest where I could go crazy in a store for 10 minutes and gather everything I want and not pay-this would be one of the stores where I would want to do that. The clothes, housewares, just everything. And look at this adorable ornament.

Are the weeds in your yard driving you mad? Are they out of control? You may want to rent-a-goat.

Since I seem to be Wikipedia nuts today here's another entry. Subtropolis. I had never heard of this, but it's fascinating. Here's there official website.

I found another cool online store (they are also brick and mortar). American Harvest. They have lots of wonderful folklore items. They also have a blog. I had to laugh when I just linked to their blog. The first thing I saw is an angel tree topper. Is tree topper one word or two? That's another thing that drives me nuts. Yesterday I posted about my problem with "K's"; well I also have a problem with the cutesy way we combine words that should be "unto themselves", but we turn into 1 word.

I digress. At first I thought it was one of my favorites-an Infant of Prague. How I became so attached to the Infant of Prague I have no idea. I'm not even a religious person and the faces never freak me out the way doll faces and angel tree toppers do. The angel tree topper photo scared the hell out of me. I have such problems with them. We had one on the tree for years that we finally had to give to the thrift store because I swear she was following me around the room with her eyes. Just me, not A.

That's all for now. Have a good weekend and those of us that are lucky enough to be off on Monday-enjoy that as well. I will be thinking about my dear, sweet Dad. He will be 83 on Thursday(15th) and is a WWII vet. Love you Daddy!!!

"Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative." - Maurice-Auguste Chevalier

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new look is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Hi Libby,

I love your new look too. Loads fast, looks clean and light. Another great post. LOVE those placeholder names. I use 'em all the time but found a whole lot of new ones.

I am also a huge fan of ranunculus... in photos. Sadly have given up on trying to nurse their little (corms?) outside, indoors in pots -- they just do not grow here. Too cold? Got a few green strings to emerge and then faint when trying to grow indoors.

Hope your daddy had a good Veteran's Day!

ps Chevalier quote? I thought my mother-in-law coined that one, boy did she use it a lot.

Best to you!
tl