Thursday, September 07, 2006

Friday Round Up

This round up is mostly devoted to library information.

I came across two very interesting articles about libraries and librarians. The first article was in The Nation entitled Librarians at the Gates. Author Joseph Huff-Hannon speaks out about the courage of librarians. Excellent article about what some librarians go through to ensure our rights and freedoms as citizens of the United States.

The other article is about public libraries and librarians. It's been a long time since I worked at a public library. I go to my neighborhood public library all of the time and I see how the library is being used as a babysitter,etc. And this is a mid-size suburban library. Public libraries are being asked to provide a multitude of services and their budgets are always decreased. Drafted: I Want You to Deliver E-Government is on the Library Journal website.

Speaking of public libraries, the Waterboro, Maine Public Library blog (h20boro lib blog)has links to recommended fall books.

The August 30, 2006 entry of the h20boro lib blog contains links to sites that feature series books. I hadn't thought about these childrens series books in years. Not until I started compiling a bibliography of aviation-related childrens books for work. I used some of the links covered for my bibliography. Take a trip down memory lane or perhaps find some series books that you have never heard of like I did like the Girl Aviator books by Margaret Burnham.

I said that this entry was going to be devoted to books and libraries, but with the primaries coming up next week I would feel remiss if I didn't urge people to vote-maybe not urge-just a bit of a nudge. It is so important and in these times I feel that it is crucial. Here are some interesting films to see before you vote.

Have a good weekend.

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote." George Jean Nathan editor and drama critic

"No right is more precious in a free coutnry than that of having a voice in the election of those who make the laws... [because] other rights, even the most basic, are illusory if the right ot vote is undermined." Justice Hugo L. Black, Feb 17, 1964

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there Ms. Libby,

thank you for another eloquent post.

Today is primary day and yes, I did vote prior to going to work (which is a polling place though not my own!).

The poll workers were sad, so few people vote in the primary. They were HOPING for 25%