Friday, November 18, 2005

Friday Round Up

Boxed sets are a great gift idea. They are a bit expensive of course, that's why they were created, but I think they do make a great presentation. This Calvin & Hobbes boxed set would make a great gift for the Calvin & Hobbes fan. I love the autumnal colors of the outside covering.

I have never been much of a comic reader. I loved Peanuts and would like to have all of the Peanuts Complete Sets, but other than that I think I have only read Cathy when it first came out and now I read Boondocks by the amazing Aaron McGruder.

I'm a bit late with this because this would have been more appropriate garb for Halloween, but it's still awfully cute.

I am a nut about grammar and the correct pronunciation of words, and I work very hard at both. I love words and it's important to me to speak well and to attempt to use words correctly. Until I lost my memory I had much better conversational skills than I do now. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not upset about this. I don't shed tears about it anymore, but I'm ticked off each and every day. I just can't find the words fast enough anymore. I digress. One of the words that has always driven me a bit mad is normalcy. The word should be normality. The credit is always given to Warren G. Harding for saying something about returning to a "state of normalcy" after WWII. There are all sorts of stories about this. Normalcy is in all of the dictionaries I've checked and it's part of our everyday lexicon. Still makes me crazy.

I like to find out I am not alone in my grammar pet peeves. Apparently someone feels the same way about the word literally. Or rather the abuse of the word literally.

On those days when you are really bored why not have a try at creating some poetry. Online magnetic poetry can easily fill up an hour or two.

I am originally from the Pittsburgh, PA area. Of course like most regions Pittsburghers and those from around the area have a certain way of speaking. Now since I have been away for a long time I have lost my "accent", but I still remember all of my Pittsburghese. See if you can talk like us.


Fig Newtons and Scotch is going away for awhile. Have a great weekend and for those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving have a nice one, and for those of you who don't have a nice day off.

"No longer forward nor behind I look in hope or fear; But, grateful, take the good I find, The best of now and here." (John Greenleaf Whittier)

No comments: