Thursday, October 06, 2005

Jane Austen

While going through some papers the other day I happened to find a listing of factoids about Jane Austen and the era in which she lived. Why did I have such a thing? Why did I take the time to collect these factoids? I haven't the foggiest idea.

I like Jane Austen and I find what little I do know about her life fascinating, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I compiled these items.

I want to actually get rid of the list, but I would like to hang on to the factoids so I thought one way to do that would be to post it here. One strange thing I did when compiling this was I didn't put down what resources I used to gather this information. I am giving myself a good swat for not giving attribution.

Jane Austen seemed to dislike Ramsgate-whenever she wanted to place a fictional character in a compromising position she would send them to Ramsgate.

In Austen's time traveling on Sunday was considered disrespectful to the Sabbath.

It was customary in Austen's time to stay home on nights with little moonlight. Travel along unlit roads was very hazardous.

In Austen's day relations by marriage were generally referred to as relations of blood. The tern in-law exised, but it was more an affectation than common usage.

Only intimates of the family were accustomed to visiting before noon, while acquaintances usually paid calls before dinner.

In the prescence of several family members of an untitled family, it was customary to address the eldest child by the title Miss or Mister, with younger siblings distinguished by the title and their first names.

During Jane's time a new carriage was generally ordered made for a wedding. The groom paid for this.

A tyger was a small boy arrayed in livery, almost as a mascot, whom the rich employed to ride on the exterior of their carriages.

In Austen's day it was customary to travel about the streets in hired sedan chairs carried by a man both fore and aft.

Nuncheon was a common term for food taken between breakfast and dinner. The term luncheon did not exist.

Surgeons were considered common village tradesmen rather than the educated professionals that physicians were thought to be.

"The Monster" was a common term given to Napoleon Bonaparte.

At the age of 14 Jane wrote her first novel-Love and Friendship.

Jane died from Addison's Disease in 1871,at the age of 41. She is buried in Winchester Cathedral.

No comments: