Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Mouse

Since I was just talking about this today I thought I would chat a bit about my mouse bibliography.

When I was in library school I assumed that I would have to compile a bibliography. Well as I've said before I love compiling lists and I've always enjoyed compiling bibliographies.

As it turned out I never did have to compile a bibliography per se, but I was always jotting down subjects that I thought would be fun to compile into a bibliography. One of the subjects was mouse literature. This is generally children's literature where the protagonist is a mouse/mice.

I have a rule with any of the lists that I keep. I have to find the entries in a non-contrived matter. In this case someone has to tell me a book title or I have to serendipitiously come across it myself.

I have been keeping this bibliography for a few years. Here is what I have so far. If you want to suggest any titles, please feel free.

Before someone tells me about the Angelina Ballerina books-yes I know about them, I think they are adorable. I just haven't added them yet because there are quite a few and there are also multiple authors.


Asch, Frank Mr. Maxwell’s Mouse. Kids Can Press, 2004

Barnes, Peter House Mouse, Senate Mouse. Rosebud Books/VSP
Books, 1996

Marshall, the Courtroom Mouse: A Tale of the U.S.
Supreme Court, Rosebud/VSP Books, 1998

Woodrow, the White House Mouse. Rosebud/VSP Books,
1998

Brett, Jan Town Mouse, Country Mouse. Putnam, 1994

Christian, Peggy The Bookstore Mouse. Harcourt Brace, 1995

Cleary, Beverly Ralph S. Mouse. HarperTrophy, 1993

Cleary, Beverly Runaway Ralph. HarperTrophy, 1991 (paperback edition)

Cleary, Beverly The Mouse and the Motorcycle. HarperTrophy, 1990

DiCamillo, Kate The Tale of Despereaux: The Story of a Mouse, a Princes,Some Soup and a Spool of Thread. Candlewick, 2003

Felix, Monique. The Plane. Creative Publishing Int., 1971

Harris, Christie. Mouse Woman and the Mischief Makers. Raincoast
Books, 1977

Henks, Kevin Chrysanthemum. Greenwillow Books, 1991.

Hoeye, Michael The Sands of Time (Hermux Tantamoq Adventure).
Putnam Juveniel, 2003

Hoeye, Michael No Time Like Show Time (Hermux Tantamoq
Adventure). Putman Juvenile, 2004

Hoeye, Michael Time Waits for No Mouse (Hermux Tantamoq Adventure).
Putnam Juvenile, 2003

Jacques, Brian The Redwall Series is published by Philomel Books.

Redwall (1986), Mossflower (1988), Mattimeo (1989), Mariel of Redwall (1991), Salamandastron (1992), Martin the Warrior (1993), The Bellmaker (1994), Outcast of Redwall (1995), The Pearls of Lutra( 1996), The Great Redwall Feast (1996), The Long Patrol (1997), Marlfox (1997), Redwall Mapp and Riddler (1998), The Legend of Luke (1999), Lord Brocktree (1999), The Taggerung (2000), A Redwall Winter’s Tale (2001),Triss (2002), Loamhedge (2003), Rakkety Tam (2004), High Rulain (2005)

Tribes of Redwall Mice (2003

Kraus, Robert Whose Mouse Are You? Macmillan, 1969

Lionni, Leo Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Panteon, 1969

Lobel, Arnold Mouse Soup. Harper Row, 1977

Lobel, Arnold Mouse Tales. Harper Row, 1972


Numeroff, Laura If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Laura Greninger, 1985

Numeroff, Laura If You Take a Mouse to the Movies. Laura Greninger, 2000

Numeroff, Laura If You Take a Mouse to School. Laura Greninger, 2002

Riley, Linnea Asplind Mouse Mess. Blue Sky Press, 1997

Roberts, Bethany A Mouse Told His Mother, Little, Brown and Company, 1997

Steig, William Amos and Boris. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1971

Steptoe, John The Story of Jumping Mouse: A Native American Legend.
Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, 1984

Tinsley, Peter A House with no Mouse. Mousetime Media, 2003

Walsh, Ellen Stoll Mouse Paint. Harcourt Brace Jovanivich, 1989

Walsh, Ellen Stoll Mouse Tales. Harcourt Brace Jovanivich, 1991

Wells, Rosemary Shy Charles. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1988

White, E.B. Stuart Little. HarperTrophy, 1974

Wood, Audrey The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the
Big Hungry Bear. Child’s Play (International), 1984

I know that there are literally thousands of titles in the mouse fiction category out there and often wonder what makes a rodent such a great story telling vehicle. I think it would be interesting to have a round-table discussion with the authors of some of these books and find out why they chose mice as their protagonist.

No comments: