Friday, August 19, 2005

Friday Wrap-up (1)

On Fridays I am going to attempt to post a wrap-up of tidbits I've come across throughout the week.

Here goes:

The rooster on Kellogg's corn flakes has a name. It's Cornelius. He's been adorning the box since 1958.

As an undergrad I took a course on The Canterbury Tales. That was actually the name of the course. I loved it. I really enjoyed all my English courses, but this class was definitely one of my favorites. I think this would have even been more fun. Can't actually see that happening at an all female (at the time-my school has now gone co-ed-Yep, I'm ticked) Catholic school.

This is probably only of interest to those in the library community. Worldcat is an online catalog of books, audiovisual materials, dissertations, etc. Watch Worldcat Grow allows the viewer to actually see a record as it is added.

The graphic arts collection of Princeton University Library has a wonderful exhibition on women printers and book designers entitled: Unseen Hands: Women Printers, Binders and Book Designers. Check it out.

If you are someone who doesn't know that the word "boo" isn't always a cry or noise to show displeasure, and that marinate isn't something you do to your entree-you may want to take a look at the Rap Dictionary.

"Back in the day" I was a huge fan of funk. Cameo, Con Funk Shun, Shalamar, Lakeside and The Gap Band I loved them all. Lately I keep hearing this song on the radio with the lyrics Hey girl, How ya doin, My name is Charlie, last name Wilson.... The dj's (Tony, TC and George) were making a big deal about this song and how happy they were for the artist, so on and so forth. It didn't dawn on my that this new song is sung by Charlie Wilson, the lead singer from The Gap Band. Apparently Charlie Wilson went from big riches to rags due to drugs and bad decisions. He's back and I too am happy that he still has those ridiculously strong vocal pipes, and that he has turned his life around.

This site is well irreverent to say the least, but then so am I. I'm not going to give an intro here, just the link.

No comments: