Monday, March 28, 2005

Work

I often wonder what it would be like to have a job that is not just a vocation, but an avocation. To actually have a job that I love so much it doesn't seem like work. I have never been that fortunate.

I think what annoys me the most about this particular hell hole is the fact that I have a ridiculously physically demanding job. While the other women sit around on their flat butts and type in the computer all day, I am unloading boxes of books and boxes of serials and boxes of copy paper. Do I feel demeaned by this? Hell yes. Did I feel demeaned by this even before I got my masters? Hell yes!!!

My theory on office work is that everyone is a clerk. There are high-paid clerks and there are low-paid clerks. I fall into the latter category. What's so annoying about these particular clerks is that the majority of them think there jobs are so important. Are any of you saving any lives? No. Are any of you making even a miniscule corner of the world a better place with all of your data entry, paper-shuffling and shelving? No. So please folks get off of your high horses and realize that 25 years from now what you are doing in your junky offices isn't going to amount to a hill of beans in the scheme of the universe. And while you are at it-KISS WHERE I TWIST!!!!

No comments: