Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Spring Sightings

Even though it's raining today I have been noticing the signs of spring. Last week I saw a small flock of robins. It struck me as being very odd because I generally have seen a robin here or there, never a group of them. I don't know-maybe it's just me that thinks this was odd. Where is an ornithologist when you need one??

Some of the saucer magnolias by my job are starting to bloom and there's a whole grouping of daffodils (a host of golden daffodils-Wordsworth if I'm not mistaken)around my workplace are blooming as well. I saw in my handy-dandy 5 year journal that the saucer magnolias were blooming on March 18 last year, so spring appears to be right on time. Now if it could only stay spring and skip the dreaded summer months all together.

On another note I found this very cool sight-Amaztype-a typographic book search sight. This sight is so much fun. It's an "applet that creates a graphic of your search on Amazon.com". I typed in "dogs" just to see if it would go wild. It did. Once all of these book choices pop up the user can click on one of the book images and you will be sent to Amazon.

I love handbags even though you would never be able to tell that by looking at the boring, black bags I always seem to be carrying. When I used to wear dresses and heels, etc, I would change my purse every day to match my bag. These days I'm a jeans and sweater woman. I carry the same black bag every day and change to a smaller black bag on the weekends. I found beautiful individually- designed bags on the Carryhandbag site. There was a time when I would have paid a lot for a handbag, but these days I'm trying to be wiser about my purchases. I just love the totes on this sight.

For the knitters and crocheters out there Afghans for Afghans seems to be a nice charity. This charity sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and garments to the people of Afghanistan. There are a lot of "needlework for charity" opportunities out there. The Wool Works Resources site has numerous listings of charities to knit/crochet for.

No comments: