Monday, April 20, 2009

Round Up

We Heart It-things that people love.

Some design eye candy-Mary Ruffle.

One of these days I am going to visit all of Scandanavia, until then I visit Visual Norway. Oh, how I envy those that have the wherewithal to travel and see the world.

Judith Krug is probably well-know to library folk (at least I hope we all know who this great lady was), but for the rest of you here's an obituary on this tireless advocate for intellectual freedom.


Medieval Helpdesk (i may have posted this before)


News stories in photographs-The Big Picture.

I have been really enjoying Lisa Hannigan's Sea Sew. I love her voice, and these folksey, easy tunes. I also love that she hand stitched the lyrics. These touches are so appropriate to Lisa's music. Here is an NPR interview with Lisa Hannigan.

I have become addicted to Panera's Iced Green Tea. I've also turned A. onto this treat. We tend to imbibe on the way home from the gym on the weekends. I wish there was a Panera near my place of employment, but then if there was I would probably go broke buying this cup of nectar.

Linda Solovic-love her collages.

How many of you remember Rick Springfield? Now come on, you know you wanted to be Jessie's Girl!!! Well, guess what, he's released a CD of lullabies that he wrote for his children. You can listen to tracks off of My Precious Little One on Rick's website.

For some very cool bed linens-Sin in Linen. If cheesey pin ups bother you, you might want to pass over this link, but the linens are very cool.

Two books that A. just finished are: Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa by Dambisa Moyo and House of Cards: A Tale of Hubris and Excess on Wall Street by William D. Cohan. He recommends them both.

Five simple ingredients=luscious treat-Haagen-Dazs Five.

I think that we humans are so quick to judge people by their appearances, by where they come from, how they speak, and on and on. And you know what most of the time when we judge we are wrong. I try, and fail, to work on that in my own personality, as well as a host of other frailities. I think by now everyone has heard Susan Boyle and her amazing voice, if you haven't here she is. (the embedding mechanism has been disabled). No matter how many times I listen to her voice I am awestruck by her clarity and enunciation she possesses.

Blogger is giving me fits so this is it for the round up for now. Have a good week.

"Getting noticed in a meaningful way is less about the grand gesture and more about the small, thoughtful things we do every day. There's often a pay-it-forward beauty to going that extra inch. It can be as easy as writing a thank-you note that isn't expected, or aksing after your client's children by name. Too often in our elbows-out world, it's assumed that being considerate and being compettive are mutually exclusive. The opposite is true." Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval, The Power of Small: Why Little Things Make All the Difference.

No comments: