Friday, April 03, 2009

Round Up

R.I.P. Andy Hallett-This was a shock. Only 33 years old, and dead from congestive heart failure. I will never forget his performing Lady Marmalade on Angel. He was incredible in the role of Lorne and why he was never given an Emmy nod is beyond me. So many great performances go unnoticed, it's such a shame.

R.I.P. Bill Holm. I adored this man. I'm an author groupie anyway, and if I had ever had the honor of meeting this marvelous spirit I know I would have turned into a babbling school girl. I think my favorite of his books is Eccentric Islands: Travels Real and Imaginary. Most of his works were published by Milkweed Editions. Appropriately the author's surname means "island" in Icelandic. Such a loss.

Here are some new Etsy finds: Petal Candles, Sweet Poppy Studio-cool retro cupcake toppers, and House of Mouse.

Hide your television in style-Reversica.

Yes, there is a World Database of Happiness.

The eggs of the Tinamou bird are amazing. They look like precious gems. This image from the book Eggs and Nest by Rosamund Purcell.

Watch this trailer for Toy Story 2. You will want to watch it again and again.

Ever wondered how books got their titles? So has Gary over at his blog How Books Got Their Title.

Vaulted Treasures is an exhibition ofmedical books published between 1493 and 1819. They are part of the collection at the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library at the University of Virginia. I could spend hours and hours on this beautiful site.

Historic Polar Images from the Scott Polar Research Institute-Freeze Frame

Book covers galore at the Book Cover Archive

I am so thrilled that a few of the Terra Cotta Warriors are going to be on exhibit at National Geographic. The exhibition is not until November, and the tickets, for which their will be a fee, go on sale in May. I will definitely be going to see this exhibition. I have had an interest in the Warriors ever since I first read about them, and I never thought I would get to see any of them in real life. What a treat this will be!!

I'm sure everyone has heard about the great find in Lincoln's watch, but I enjoyed the story so much I though I would post about it here.

Yelp-Real People, Real Reviews. .

Loads of inspiration and ideas for art projects on Access Art.

The economy is in the tank, but the candy business is booming, just like it did during the Depression.

I became a huge Hannah Holmes fan after I read her book, The Secret Life of Dust. If you are a science geek, then I think you will enjoy this author. She also has a delightfully informative blog.

It's Cherry Blossom time in my area and yes they are beautiful. Unfortunately for the tourists today is a rainy, cloudy day. Hopefully the rest of the weekend will improve for them.

Happy Weekend!!

"For it is life we want. We want the world, the whole beautiful world, alive — and we alive in it. That is the actual god we long for and seek, yet we have already found it, if we open our senses, our whole bodies, thus our souls. " Bill Holm

No comments: