Friday, October 31, 2008

Round Up

This will be a short round up this week folks.

If you love making lists and you love books, I have found the perfect site for you-Flashlight Worthy (i love the name). Flashlight Worthy is a site with numerous book recommendation lists. You can also submit your own list. Are you someone who has read every golf mystery that has been ever written? Submit a list. It's a lot of fun and I've already found some books that I want to read.

The Union of Concerned Scientists and Penguin Classics have created a unique partnership to educate the public about the dangers of global warming and the solutions at hand. Bookstores across the country are displaying easels and bookmarks about the project and encouraging the public to submit stories to be included in the new online book, Thoreau's Legacy: American Stories about Global Warming.

We have Verizon Fios, which is great. Turn the computer on and bam-you are on the Internet. We have a ridiculous amount of channels including National Geographic and the Science Channel. Dare I ask for one more? I would love to have the Sundance Channel so that I can watch Iconoclasts.

Red Room-a social network for writers and readers.

I have said this after every election since 1980, "If my candidate doesn't win I'm moving to Canada." Granted, I love Canada so I would like to live there anyway. To get myself prepared I've been listening to this Musical Guide to Canadian music.

Just in case anyone was wondering-A synecdoche is figure of speech putting part for the whole, or the whole for part. For example, 'All hands on deck' is an example in which 'hands' is used to mean 'people'.

The Museum of the American Cocktail looks like a cool place to visit.

The find.com is supposed to be a directory of merchants that accept PayPal. I haven't tested it yet, but I thought I would provide the link.

Because of the difficult economic times we are having some of the stores have brought back layaway. Now the online merchants are taking a cue from their brick and mortar counterparts with eLayaway.

First of all next Tuesday you must, must, must VOTE. I can't stress enough how important this is not only for this election, but for every election. People have fought and died for this right, so please do not take it for granted. Why not take your camera with you and snap some photographs? The Polling Place Photo Project is attempting to create an online photo archive of the voting process from all across the country.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!

"Backward, turn backward, O time in your flight, make me a child again-just for tonight." Elizabeth Akers Allen

No comments: