Thursday, October 23, 2008

Round Up

I just found out that one of my favorite poets passed away-Hayden Carruth.

I hadn't posted anything about the passing of Paul Newman. Generally I'm not ga-ga over the leading men. I tend to go for the character actors, but there are some exceptions and Mr. Newman was one of them. What incredible gifts this man possessed-easy-on-the-eyes looks, great acting talent and a huge heart. I have read quite a few tributes about this incredible human being, but I like what Dahlia Lithwick (just love her name) at Slate had to say the best, "Married to Joanne Woodward, his second wife, for 50 years this winter, Newman always looked at her like something he'd pulled out of a Christmas stocking. He looked at his five daughters that way, too. It was like, all these years later, he couldn't believe he got to keep them."

I missed World Animal Day (October 4). Look at some of these incredible images. I think my favorite is of one of my favorite animals, the narwhal (photograph #16).

Who is the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about-If you don't know perhaps The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain can refresh your memory.



I have wanted to learn how to quilt for a long time, but I think I am just too lazy to start. Maybe I could start off by making one of these recycled scarf blankets. Of course, I may want to purchase a sewing machine first.

I have used honey for different things for years. It makes a wonderful facial mask and it is also great for healing wounds. Now someone has capitalized on what farmers and rural folk have know for years.


The 2008 MacArthur Foundation Genius Grants have been awarded. Meet the Fellows.

These seasonal pinwheels are cute.
I remembered reading that Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of everyone's favorite redhead, Anne of Green Gables, had suffered from depression, but hearing that she committed suicide was a bit of a shock.
Polyvore-Mix and match images from anywhere on the web, to create outfits, interior designs, or any kind of collage. Of course there is a blog.
Oh, so I'm a member of Generation Jones.
Whoppi has a new book out-Sugar Plum Ballerinas.
I'm not a Francophile, but I would love to read, French Milk, by Lucy Knisley,a graphic travelogue about her time spent in Paris.
Charlie Kratzer decorated his basement with $10.00 worth of Sharpies. Incredible.
Have a great weekend. It looks like it's going to be a good weekend to sit by the fire with a good book, some nice hot cider and to go with it all how about a couple of apple cider donuts. Here's a recipe for these delights, and eat them while they are still a little warm. Heaven!!!
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others." Pericles (attributed)

No comments: