Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Round Up

Just in time for Halloween-Gothtober.

Complete Planet: deep web directory.

Some Etsy finds. Love this bawdy jewelry, collective names of animals tees and unusual wine charms (scroll down)

See what some newsmakers and newsbreakers have for breakfast.

At one time I had quite the cookbook collection. I have weeded it through the years so now I have maybe 4 or 5 that I use all the time. Whenever I am in any bookstore I have to try and control myself anyway, and I really have to drum up some self-discipline in the cookbook aisle. I have been having a ball perusing Old Cookbooks.com.

I have been using Paperback Swap for awhile now, and I love it, but I also came across another book swapping site called Book Mooch. I think these are both great ideas.

Elton Mabry is a homeless man that moved into an abandoned building when Hurrican Katrina struck New Orleans. He kept himself going by writing a journal of sorts on the walls. This is an amazing story of survival and an indomitable spirit.

Speaking of journals, George Orwell's diary (1938-1942) is online in blog form. Why not? We already have Samuel Pepys' diary in blog form.

I did not know that the real Winnie-the-Pooh was living at the New York Public Library. He sure is a long way from home.

I'm always on the lookout for a new documentary to watch. I think that I would like to see Trumbo. Dalton Trumbo was an American novelist and screenwriter, and one of the Hollywood Ten. He and 9 other individuals refused to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) in 1947. The HUAC were investigating Communist influences in the film industry.

Since Trumbo would not tell the HUAC anything he was convicted for contempt of Congress. He was blacklisted and spent 11 months in a federal penitentiary. When he was released from prison he moved to Mexico and continued to write screenplays. One of the more famous ones was for the movie The Sandpiper starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

Another group I read about in the music issue of American Legacy-the Sherrie Miracle and the Diva Jazz Orchestra. I've been enjoying their sound on YouTube. Here is another article about the divas.

Look at these Pea Hoodies.

Do you need to see who owns a particular domain name? Whois.net may provide the answer.

2 Cat Studio carries a lot of state and city-themed pillows, tea towels and other items. I love the North Pole pillow.

I won't be posting again until after this horrid holiday. Yes, I like having a day off. No, I'm not thrilled with the Christopher Columbus.

Have a good one.

"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter - 'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning." - Mark Twain

No comments: