Monday, May 05, 2008

Round Up

<HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!!

I am just loving this woman's voice and her music in general.

Pronetos is a home to scholars of every academic discipline.

National Archives and Record Administration's (NARA) Digital Vaults is excellent and I can see why it has won awards. The data is organized by tags and linked to both the tags and other sources. I love seeing more and more Web 2.0 types of organizations.

BuyOlympia.com has a lot of great hand made goods and more.

Blogs from the U.S. government.


10 insulting words you should know (just love Neatorama)

This piece on too many cookbooks from Apartment Therapy rings so true. I am a reformed cookbook junkie. I used to have a lot of cookbooks. Too many, but through the years I have given a lot a way and now have just a few, plus my binder of recipes that I have been collecting since high school. It gets weeded periodically too.

At one time or another I have subscribed to Gourmet, Cook's Illustrated, Bon Appetit, and Saveur. I am thinking of subscribing to Saveur again and I am getting very attached to Gastronomica. I have subscribed to various culinary newsletters back in the day. My favorite being John Thorne's Simple Cooking. I subscribed for quite a few years and then ended up selling them on eBay for a nice price. I have 2 or 3 of John Thorne's books, which I re-read every couple of years.

I also subscribed to the utterly charming Cook & Tell newsletter. This was way before the web. I loved this newsletter and don't know why I stopped my subscription. It is written by Karyl Bannister from West Southport, Maine. The newsletter is folksy and charming and includes some of the author's drawings. I found that she now has an online prescence and a book.

The last cookbook I purchased was a few weeks ago. Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth by Jill O'Connor. I've just paged through it and haven't read it yet.

Sorry for the short post. Have a great week.

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill

No comments: