Friday, March 28, 2008

Books

I'm going to skip the round up today and chat about some of the books I've been reading.


The first book is The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food by Edith Jones. I think I blogged about her before. This dynamo of a woman is either directly or indirectly (mostly directly) for The Diary of Anne Frank being published,and introducing readers to Julia Child, Madhur Jaffrey and Edna Lewis to name a few of the culinary royalty she has brought to the world. She is the senior editor and vice president at Alfred A. Knopf, where she has worked since 1957. I loved this book. This woman has led an amazing life.

I read Eat,Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert with a lot of trepidation. I read a couple of reviews about it, and the first thing I thought was, "Oh, another rich, bored woman with nothing to do but go find herself."

I kept seeing women on the train and bus reading this book so I thought I'd give it a try. I actually enjoyed it. My favorite section was the first section on Italy. And what's not to love about Italy: luscious food, fantastic history and archictecture everywhere and the Italian people. I thought I wouldn't have that much interest in the sections on India and Indonesia because I just have never had much interest in that part of the world. What kept me interested in the India section was her interest in meditation.

Quite a few years ago I took a hypnotherapy course that taught me how to meditate. We used a tape and after awhile I got good enough where I didn't need the tape. I have "monkey mind" and it took a lot of practice to train myself to focus and not let my mind wander. The author had the same problem. I haven't meditated in a long time, and I might have to get back to it. I have insomnia these days and a huge problem chillaxing so maybe it will help.

All in all, I enjoyed the book. Elizabeth Gilbert has a way of writing that makes you feel like you are kicked back with her at a cafe laughing and enjoying the day. This funny memoir is worth a read. I also think it would be a great book club pick.

The last book is Nancy Redd's Body Drama: Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues, Real Answers .


The wonderful Laundress over at Dirty Laundry mentioned this book on her blog and I am so glad that she did. I wish that I had this book when I was a teenager. Even though I had a mom who was a nurse and who was calling bits and parts by their correct anatomical names from the time I was born, and who wasn't shy about talking about bodily functions; this book still would have been great to have. If I had a daugher I would definitely buy this for her.

Yes, some folks might be turned off by the nudity, but hey we are all women and we all have the same bits. I know I've never had all of these hang ups that people have about nudity and sex. I'm appalled by the violence that pervades so much of our society, or the fact that we use sex to sell every freakin' thing imaginable. I'm not appalled by seeing a stray breast or penis here and there. Big Woo!!!!!!!!!!!

What I loved about this book is that it presents important information in a fun way. The photographs celebrate our uniqueness. The images are of all types of young women-thin, not-so-thin, white, brown, black, and everything in between. The book discusses topics that we all have to deal with as women, but as young women may be too embarrassed to ask or possibly not have anyone to ask these questions. Questions left unanwered can lead to ruined self-image and self-doubt and these feelings can last a lifetime.

Loved the book, glad the Laundress mentioned it. Read her post from March 4, 2008 about the book.

Ever since we got FIOS last October A. and I have availed ourselves of most of the channels. The other night when I couldn't sleep I was watching Retirement Living TV. They carry the Florence Henderson Show. Yep, Carol Brady, she from The Song of Norway with the beautiful voice, has a show on Retirement Living. I think I'll save this for an entire post because I became quite enthralled with one of her guests that night.

Fit TV has all sorts of exercise program, healthy eating shows and my favorite-Shimmy. I say each year that I am going to take belly dancing lessons. I love any kind of dance, and this would be fun and great exercise. I still haven't gotten my nerve to do it yet, but Shimmy might urge me on.

Hmm, I wonder what hip scarf I should get?

My sweetie was able to drive me to work this morming so we left a bit early so we could drive by and see this.


"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." Louisa May Alcott (1873)

"I love the body. Flesh is so honest, and organs do not lie." Candea Core-Starke

2 comments:

Rhea said...

What a nice view. Where the heck do you live, and why don't I live there?

Unknown said...

Hey there Libby,

Okay, I have now tried FOUR times to read Eat, pray, love. It is not a book for me. Gave it another valiant effort because you got through it... other women I like and read alike also... but nope.

Love that you too love Ms. Redd's book. It is not aimed at our demographic but gee, I learned a few new things (um, about topics I am too sheepish to mention).

Envy you those cherry blossoms. I am viewing a few small crocuses, peeking under dirty little heaps of ice (they look sad, not glorious).

best to you!
tl