Monday, February 25, 2008

Sightings

Before I get into my nature sightings I want to direct you all to a wonderful, spot on post about the election and what I think is a little known historical note. And if it is little-known that's a damn shame. The Laundress has done it again. Read her February 22, 2008 post. Laundress, you are the bomb!!!

Also, the Library of Congress has put approximately 3000 images on Flickr and is asking the publics help in creating captions/tags for them. Big fun!!!

Before I left work on Friday I had a conversation with a co-worker and we started talking about animals. You know I was talking about the feral cats that romp around my development, she was talking about deer sightings, etc.

So I get in the car and we're almost to the turnoff to get on New Hampshire Avenue, almost by my alma mater. As we are going around the bend I look up and there's a hawk on a lightpost.

Then we are driving past the Soldiers' Home and I glance right by the fence and there's a deer, Doe a deer, a female deer.

Then have just passed Montgomery Blair High School, which is so big a friend of mine thought they were building a mall when it was under construction. We're listening to NPR, talking about what's being discussed and look who flies directly in front of our vehicle and over the traffic. Another hawk, a low-flying one.

On Saturday we had just come from dropping some books off at the library and look whose in the road nibbling on some road kill. The Turkey vulture or American Turkey Buzzard. The first time I had ever seen this bird was two years ago and I spotted them either 2 or 3 days in a row. There was a pair and they were together every time I saw them. The one I saw Saturday was alone.

Now if I could just spot a bear.

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church,
I keep it staying at Home -
With a bobolink for a Chorister,
And an Orchard, for a Dome
Emily Dickinson

I just walked back from the Natural History building and I heard a lot of bird ruckus. I look over and there are robins everywhere in this one cordoned off area (cordoned for turf restoration). I couldn't believe it. I started counting them, but stopped at 15. Quite a few of them had quite the plump red breast too.

2 comments:

Rhea said...

I love seeing wildlife. I should live in the country. Thanks for the pics.

Libby said...

Hi Rhea,

I miss living in a rural place and even the rural/small town noseyness. Miss it very much.