Friday, February 08, 2008

Round Up

January 11, 2008 was Sr. Rosetta Tharpe day. Sr. Rosetta Tharpe was a gospel singer who performed in the 1930s and 1940s. She was the first big recording star of gospel music. Other artists such as Elvis Presley, Little Richard and Keith Richards have all proclaimed that her style of performing and guitar playing were an influence on their own musical stylings.

Sadly Sr. Tharpe resides in an unmarked grave in Philadelphia. The concert that occurred on January 11, 2008 raised funds to get this wonder woman a proper gravestone. More about her here. You can see her peforming on YouTube. She was something. I'm not a huge fan of gospel music, even though hearing Mahalia Jackson sing can bring tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my skin. I tend to appreciate talent and great voices in any genre though. Watching Sr. Tharpe you can see that she possessed that special charisma that so few people are gifted.

This woman rocks. I may have written about her before, but she is so cool she deserves another mention. Erin McKean is a lexicographer and the Chief Chief Consulting Editor for American Dictionaries at Oxford University Press. She has not one, but two cool blogs. The Dictionary Evangelist and A Dress a Day. Check her out.

Recycle your crocs.

And speaking of Crocs-visit Shoefinder.

Create your virtual lemonande stand and sell your items.

ATM Locator brought to you by VISA by way of Lifehacker.

The incomparable Nina Simone has a daughter, and guess what she sings.

Okay, I've had this thing, this curse, this plague for almost a month. My doctor tells me that this "thing" has a hold on you for 4 to 6 weeks. Good freakin' grief. If you want to find out if your community has some soul-sucking bug going around visit Who Is Sick.

The TSA, yep the Transportation Security Administration has a blog.

I'm flagging so it's time for me to go. I wish you all a great weekend.

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do." - Olin Miller

No comments: