Friday, March 03, 2006

Friday Round Up

Before I start the round up I wanted to send a personal thank you out to the Laundress at Dirty Laundry. She has included me in her blogroll and she has been leaving me encouraging words. Thanks so much.

Now to the Friday Round Up.

And then there was Barack.

For most of my adult years I have been in awe of one person who could give me shivers just by reading their grocery list. To me he is one of the greatest orators ever. Who am I speaking about? Mario Cuomo. I adore him, and not just because of his stupendous speaking skills. He had always been my favorite, until-Barack Obama. When I heard him speak at the Democratic National Convention he too gave me shivers and made me cry. I had heard of him prior to the convention, but I had no idea he was such a great orator. If you missed his history making speech you can read it and also listen to it at the Say It Plain site.


Growing up in rural Pennsylvania I saw lots of hay-in bales (so cute) and loose. I never thought about how often hay is used in art, but someone did. Check out the Hay in Art site. It even has a searchable database. So cool. I just love this sort of thing. Sort of goes along with all of my numerous subject-specific lists.


This is the beautiful Rose Harwanna. Actually this rose has 3 different names,but you can read more about this on the Botanical Art of the Day site. This very informative site is hosted by the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.


The Neglected Books site is devoted to just that, books that are underrated, underappreciated or just plain neglected. I had never heard of some of these books, but there are a couple that I have added to my "to be read in the future" list. One must read is A Very Short History of the World by Geoffrey Blainey. How did I miss this?

Have a great weekend!!


"It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun. Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today". Barack Obama

No comments: