Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Children's Literature

Along with all of the non-fiction and mysteries that I read there is an ever increasing amount of children's literature.

I don't even like to call this literature, these wonderful stories, children's literature. To the peculiarly naive, placing the caveat of children in front of literature somehow trivializes the story. This became quite apparent to me when I was taking a children's literature course in library school. An acquaintance a mine saw some of the books I was reading and asked me why I was reading those titles. When I told her I was taking a course, she then asked me why I was wasting my money on something like that. Twit!!!!!

Here are some of my favorites and some that I have read in the last few months:

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and
The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.

Anything by Margery Sharp-The Rescuers Series-Bernard, the Miss Bianca stories.

And for more delightful mouse fiction:

The Sands of Time: A Herman Tantamoq Adventure by Michael Hoeye. This whole series is wonderful.

Spy Mice: The Black Paw by Heather Vogel Frederick.

Eveything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath. This wonderful story about Primrose Squarp and the loss of her parents is poignant,but I also found myself laughing out loud at the pluck of this unusual heroine. I haven't read any other books by Polly Horvath, but I have added The Canning Season and An Occasional Cow to my ever growing list of TBR books.


I think I've read everything that the wonderful Eva Ibbotson has written and I am in awe of her spectacular imagination.


This is my most recent read: Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander. I, like Jason, have always looked at my pets (dogs) waiting for them to speak to me, to carry on conversations with me, or to give me sage advice. I keep hoping that day will come.

I seem to have more of an interest in the literature intended for the 4-8 years old and 9-12 years old than I do strictly Young Adult(YA) Literature. I wonder what that says about my middle-aged self? Hmmmm.....

What are some of your favorite non-adult books?



"When you read a book as a child it becomes part of your identity". Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) in movie You've Got Mail

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there Libby,

Once again, you have mentioned a few titles that I also know and love but more that I haven't heard of... Will check them out.

I know I read the Lloyd Alexander when I was a youngster (that is an oldie) and I remember I loved it but can not remember anything else. Will re-visit that one.

My favorite "non-adult" title is Cornelia Funke's The thief lord. Listen to the book on tape, great reader too!

Also LOVE Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy; much food for thought there for adults as well as kids/teens.

fusenumber8 said...

I'm pleased to see you roundly thump the ignorant cusses who think of children's literature as "kiddie lit". If you like those books you may wish to grab the best danged children's work of fiction published in America in 2006. It's "Fly By Night" by Frances Hardinge. It contains one homicidal goose. Nuff said.