Thursday, January 19, 2012

Round Up

R.I.P. Simms Taback and Reginald Hill.

New York Times candle-smells like newsprint. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I love specialty stores like The Ribbonerie. (problem with the stores URL so I'm linking to Apartment Therapy's piece on the store)

Back in the day the placement of a stamp on a postcard or letter could send a message all its own. Very nice piece on this charming custom.

You have heard of ghost towns, what about ghost counties.

Grammarware.

Love, love, love these Shanna Murray wall decals.

Books I've spied: Menu Design in America: 1850-1986 (Taschen) by Steven Heller, Jim Heimann and John Mariani, The Chicken Encyclopedia (Storey Publishing) by Gail Damerow and Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World (Doubleday)by Richard Rhodes.

Push pins are passe-get a scratch map to mark your travels.

Here are some things librarians should do about SOPA.

I am ga-ga over Purina's dog breed library.

World's most expensive book-Good Grief!!!!

That's all for this week. Have a good weekend.

“Heaven preserve me from littleness and pleasantness and smoothness. Give me great glaring vices, and great glaring virtues, but preserve me from the neat little neutral ambiguities. Be wicked, be brave, be drunk, be reckless, be dissolute, be despotic, be a suffragette, be anything you like, but for pity's sake be it to the top of your bent. Live fully, live passionately, live disastrously. Let's live, you and I, as none have ever lived before. -to Vita Sackville-West, October 25, 1918” ― Violet Trefusis

No comments: