Friday, September 17, 2010

Round Up

R.I.P. Joan Steiner-I purchased so many of Ms. Steiner's wonderful Look-ALikes books for children through the years. I had a ball myself trying to find the objects in her wonderful creations.

Would love to peruse the entire Penguin English Journey Series.

After reading about the John Smith Chesapeake Trail I found out that there are 16 other National Historic Trails. I'm glad that there are historic trails, but I thought there would be so many more. More about the trail here.

Nice autumnal library necklace. Wonder if its heavy.

WWII on Facebook.

The Antiquarian Booksellers' Association has a Missing and Stolen Book Blog.

I can't believe I have never heard of the amazing Dr. Louise Jilek-Aall. Someone, perhaps me, should write a Wikipedia article on this woman.

A library reference desk made of old books. Very cool!!!!

CONELRAD 100-Atomic Film. An entire listing of films with Red Scare/Cold War and Atomic themes. You may also make film suggestions.

Which shall I try-Spoonfudge or Spudfudge-or both? There is something so illicit about eating something yummy from a jar. I might have to indulge in the Spoonfudge. Hmmm, not what flavor(s).

15 essential back-to-school podcasts.

Finally some decent scrubs for the medical profession to sport-Blue Sky Scrubs.

This Corporate B.S. Generator is ridiculously fun.

I saw this museum on an episode of the History Detectives. The French Cable Museum, located in Orleans, Massachusetts , has an incredible collection of original Atlantic undersea telegraphic cables, instruments, maps, and assorted memorabilia. That area of the country is my absolute favorite and the next time I'm in the vicinity I will have to visit this very interesting museum.

I just read a review of Amore: The Story of Italian American Song by Mark Rotella. Another to add to my TBR list.

I'm reading Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson. This is a departure from my usual non-fiction reading. I'm not big on disaster reading or disaster movies, but I keep bumping into this book in one form or another. When that happens I always think the universe wants me to read the book-so I do. The author does a good job of bringing Galveston, Texas in the year 1900 to life. The Isaac in the title is Isaac Cline who was the resident meteorologist for the U.S. Weather Bureau. This is a gripping read and your heart will ache for the town of Galveston and the 6,000 people who lost their lives.

About time-the first aiport library.

That's all for this week friends. Have a nice weekend.


"I shall stay the way I am, because I don't give a damn." Dorothy Parker

No comments: