Thursday, June 10, 2010

Round Up

R.I.P. Eleanor Taylor Bland

The world's coolest bookshops.

June 14th is World Blood Donor Day-give blood, it's easy, fast and it doesn't cost you anything, and can mean life for someone else.

My favorite fingernail polish company OPI and computer manufacturer Dell have partnered to bring us nail polish colored laptops.

This summer use Festival Finder to located your favorite music festival.

This sucky economy is hitting everyone. The Washington National Cathedral may sell some of its rare book collection.

I'm all about canines, but Sockington's twitter feed is the bomb!!

3 books that I want to read:

The Finger: A Handbook by Angus Trumble. I'm not even going to tell you what it is about. I am going to have so much fun when people ask me what am I reading, and I can say, "the finger". (yes, I'm an 8-year old boy). I also love the author's name-Angus Trumble.

The Wisdom of Donkeys: Finding Tranquility in a Chaotic World by Andy Merrifield. Much to many people's surprise donkeys are very docile creatures. Yes, they have that very loud bray and they will kick you if you tick them off (in that case I wish that I were a donkey), but they are gentle creatures and revered in many cultures. Not to give too much of the book away, but while visiting France the author borrows a friend's donkey for a long walking journey and he and the donkey become friends. Just sounds like a very interesting memoir/travelogue.

Zero Decibels: The Quest for Absolute Silence by George M. Foy. I think the title gives away the theme of the book.

Hey, there's an elephant sanctuary in Tennesee.

I hope that children are learning about things like the Pea Island Life Saving Station and men like Richard Etheridge in their history classes.

Gladiator graveyard is found in England.

The Library History Buff Blog has an interesting piece about some books that were purchased by the Library of Congress that were on the Lusitania-fascinating.

These Star Wars cookie cutters are making me giggle-Tee Hee!

Nice summery drink-cucumber gimlets.

NPR's top ten summer cookbooks.

That's all for this week. Have a great weekend.








"Fearlessness may be a gift, but perhaps more precious is the courage acquired through endeavor, courage that comes from cultivating the habit of refusing to let fear dictate one's actions." Aung San Suu Kyi


No comments: