Friday, May 01, 2009

Round Up

R.I.P. Bea Arthur-I mean really, could anyone give a withering stare better than this marvelous actress?

Nice blog about life: 1001 Rules for My Unborn Son

I love the whole idea of Time Banks

The Umbrella Society has some very nice umbrellas.

The Bombus Shop makes great use of old maps.

I am a huge fan of poet Rita Dove. She has a book of poems entitled American Smooth, and the poems talk a lot about dancing. Ms. Dove and her husband Fred Viebahn have been taking ballroom dancing lessons for years. Here are some videos of the two of them dancing.

Oodles of facts about Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)-Twainia

Roses are one of my favorite flowers. I have many favorites-peonies, ranunculus, and on and on, with peonies being my absolute favorite. I think what has always fascinated me about roses is people's devotion to this beautiful flower. There are rosarians and other folk who dedicate their lives to the rose. I like all roses, but old roses are a particular favorite as well as tea rose. Interesting article about roses in New York.

Pigs are really getting a bad name this week so here are 10 pigs we will always love.

I find it hard to believe that after 400 years of males, Carol Ann Duffy will be the first female Poet Laureate in Great Britain. It's about time these folks would pulled the stick out already.

Another photo sharing site: Ipernity

Everyone's favority trivialogist (i just made that word up)Ben Schott has a blog Schott's Vocab. One of the many great New York Times blogs.

I hope that if I am ever able to retire, and my health holds up, that I get out and do things. Volunteer and maybe join a choir. I belonged to chorus all through high school and I loved it. I actually miss singing in a large group like that. Maybe I could join the Young at Heart Choir.

Am I am fan of horse racing? No. However, I am fascinated with all of the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Kentucky Derby. I knew that there had to be some rules governing the naming of thoroughbreds, but I had no idea how many rules there are. It's very interesting. The Jockey Club is the breed registry for thoroughbreds in the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Section 6 of a massive rule book contains the rules for horse naming. There is also an online names book registry.

Alice Walker exhibits opens at Emory University.

These little "jars full of joy" are so cute from Wee Tidings.

It's going to be rainy this weekend, and I for one will be enjoying the cooler, gray days. I hope that you enjoy your weekend as well.

"Stuffed deer heads heads on walls are bad enough, but its worse when they are wearing dark glasses and have streamers in their antlers because then you know they were enjoying themselves at a party when they were shot." Ellen DeGeneres

No comments: