Thursday, March 19, 2009

Round Up

Who doesn't have a bunch of old t-shirts hidden away in the drawer; possibly outgrown? Why not send them to Campus Quilts and have a quilt made out of them.

Oh no, donut pies.

A man who is attempting to visit all of the museums in Connecticut. This is such a great idea.

I think Chumby is oh so cute! I must have the amethyst.

I enjoy reading how women in particular turn their hobbies into businesses. I have been searching for years for something like that for myself, but so far no luck. See what this enterprising woman is doing with broken plates. Here is her Etsy shop.

Great story about the tree that owns itself.

Origami Post-It box.

I worked on a project in library school about all of these author contests and the various awards given out to authors. Since then I have become a bit obsessed with finding new contests. I had never heard of the Cheerios New Author Contest . The work that wins the award will be included in boxes of, you guessed it, Cheerios.

I happened to catch an episode of the televison program Life the other night. This isn't something I usually watch, but you know how it is. You are all propped up in bed just so. You have finally gotten the pillows just right, your reading material is near, and the remote is right there next to you. Even with all of that convenience you are still just too damn tired, drifting in and out of sleep, to change the channel.

Anywho-while I was watching the program last night the fabulous Gabrielle Union was guest starring. Why doesn't the viewing public see more of this woman? She's talented, beautiful, and built like a brick *house. All of the qualities that Hollywood loves. I loved her when she was in the series remake of Night Stalker with the equally delicious Stuart Townsend. That series didn't last too long. Anyway-HOLLYWOOD WAKE UP. Ms. Union is a gem.

I have always wanted to belong to a book club, but then I think how stubborn I am about my leisure reading, and I think it might be better not to belong to a club. However, I am very enamored with Fables and the story behind its creation.

Some books that I would like to read are:
  • A Romance on 3 Legs: Glenn Gould's Excessive Quest for the Perfect Piano by Katie Hamner. I am a Glenn Gould fan and I would love to find out even more of the eccentricities of this musical genius.
  • My Little Red Book by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff. Ms. Nalebuff (love the last name) is only 18 years old and has been accepted at Yale. This book is about woman and their first menstrual cycle. This is a touchstone in every woman's life and I'm sure these stories are touching, humorous, and memorable.
  • Cafe Society: The Wrong Place for the Right People (Music in American Life) by Barney Josephson. Memoir about the owner of the legendary interracial New York City night clubs Cafe Society Downtown and Cafe Society Uptown and their successor, The Cookery. Famously known as "the wrong place for the Right people," Cafe Society featured the cream of jazz and blues performers--among whom were Billie Holiday, boogie-woogie pianists, Big Joe Turner, Lester Young, Buck Clayton, Big Sid Catlett, and Mary Lou Williams--as well as comedy stars Imogene Coca, Zero Mostel, and Jack Gilford, and also gospel and folk singers. A trailblazer in many ways, Josephson welcomed black and white artists alike to perform for mixed audiences.
  • 2182 Kilohertz or 2182 Khz by David Masiel. This book has the backdrop of the Arctic, which has always been an attraction for me. I have a feeling this book is filled with big, brawly,sweaty men. You know the kind that can strike a match in the palm of their hand. That's not usually an appeal for me, but I have heard so many great things about this book it is going to have to go in my TBR pile. Oh, the 2182 Kilohertz title refers to the radio frequency used at sea to broadcast emergencies.

I had to submit an interlibrary loan through my public library to obtain a copy of Life is A Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally by Patti Digh. The book came from her blog and the book is amazing. If you think it's some namby-pamby New Age crapola-You are so wrong. I am planning to get two copies of this gem-1 for me, and 1 for a gift to my public library. Here is Ms. Digh's blog.

I am going to paraphrase a quote from Life is a Verb for my end quote for this entry. Of the many wonderful quotes contained in the book, this particular quote struck a powerful chord with me. I have been going through some troubling times of late, and I think I am going to come out of this on the other side eventually. This quote made me stop and really think about things and it is one I will always keep in the forefront of my thoughts. (if this quote should be attributed to someone else please excuse my error. I already returned the book to the library or I would look it up.)

"We cannot give our power away to the people who took it from us in the first place." Patti Digh, from her book Life is a Verb.





No comments: