Thursday, March 12, 2009

Round Up

Neglected Books Page-nice blog with some very interesting books.

It's Women's History Month. I am not a huge fan of these monthly tributes, but if the schools use these months to educate children about people who have not been included in the history books, then I guess it's a good thing. One item that I found out this month is that the inventor of the windshield wiper was a woman-Mary Anderson.

I came across this site when I was looking for some book award winners: Award Winners Blog.

Excellent blog about NYC history-Patell and Waterman's History of New York.

History of Smiley.

If I were an author I would love Cite Alert. Cite Alert notifies the author by email whenever the author's work is referenced in another publication.

JURN-search 2, 060 scholarly art and humanities ejournals.

I noted before that I am not a huge fan of Twitter. I think it's great in a way, but it's not for me. There's even a librarian's twitter (Tweet It) directory.

I love the New York Times and I am not even a newspaper aficionado. I even love the font they use on their website. This article came in handy the other day when I was having some computer woes at home.

A woman that I used to work with would have us cracking up at work telling us stories about her family. Her husband was retired, and he ran some sort of business out of his home, so he was home all day. She was always telling us how he was addicted to the Weather Channel. He would call her during the day and give her all of these weather updates. I tend to look at the Weather Scan (we have Verizon FIOS so I don't know if that's something that everyone can get or not). It gives me all of the weather information plus I get to hear nice jazzy music. Of course the Weather Channel has a blog.

This Sendak bento box lunch is incredible. Where the Wild Things Are never looked so great.

I think everyone loved Mr. Rogers. These 15 Reasons Mr. Rogers was the Best will endear him to you even more.

Am I the last person to hear about YouTube sensation Lauren Luke? When I first watched her video I had a hard time understanding her thick Geordie accent. The more I watched the more I was charmed by her and her brogue. If you like eye makeup then you must simply watch her videos. Here is a story about her from Vanity Fair. Here is her website.

Scanwiches: scans of cross-sections of sandwiches.

Take the dysfunctional reading quiz.

Dr. Spencer Shaw received his Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication to Librarianship in Academic and Children's Services. He is the first American of African descent librarian in Connecticut.

I bet these gorgeous candles smell as good as they look.

That's all folks.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.-" Mark Twain

No comments: