Friday, December 05, 2008

Round Up

R.I.P. Odetta.

If you are looking for hourly employment go to Snagajob.

I found this so interesting. Former Attorney General Janet Reno masterminded the Song of America, a 3-cd set contains new versions of American classics performed by artists such as Take 6, the Blind Boys of Alabama, and Harper Simon (Paul Simon's son).

The Brooks Brothers Non-Iron shirt was one of Oprah's picks. She swears that it really does come out of the dryer ready to wear. Would make a nice gift.

I am aching to read Scrapbooks: An American History by Jessica Helfand. I fell in love with her book Reinventing the Wheel, which was all about volvelles or information wheels.

I wish that I still had my scrapbook from when I was growing up. I can still see it. It was chock full of all of my girlhood detritus, and I could kick myself for not saving it.

Two other books that I would like to spend some time with are Road Trip Journal by Steven Shore (but at $250.00 who am I kidding), and the New York Times: The Complete Front Page: 1851-2008. I was in Costco the other day and started perusing the New York Times book and I even with all of the hustle bustle in the store, I became totally immersed in this wonderful tome.

If you are a dog lover, you must read the Boomer Chronicles 12/04/08 post.

I've said this before and I am saying it again. I wish I could retire and tour factories, visit small towns and their libraries and cemetaries, read Presidential biographies and the Rivers of America series. I would also like to be able to bake a different bath of cookies every single day. Since I can't I have been visiting Martha Stewart's Cookie of the Day site.

I really should give up on my quest to being able to identify every tree, flower, bush, weed, etc., etc. I let this obsession go for awhile and then it comes back with a vengeance. I have been spending quite a bit of time on this nifty Tree Identification site.

Look who is behind all of the cool Google Doodles?


I really like these outdoor Christmas presents. Very festive. I am also crazy about these signs.

If I were a little girl, or had a little girl, I would want to shop at Matilda Janes. Such adorable things.

Remember, if you are looking for gift book recommendations, or book recommendations of any kind, hop on over to Flashlight Worthy.

Have a nice weekend.


"The leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm country slowly changes from the summer cottons into its winter wools."~ Henry Beston

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the mention! The link seems to be going to the wrong place, though!