Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Stuff

I was looking through a magazine the other day and I was reminded of some of the different projects we used to do when I was a Girl Scout. I remember making the balloon paper mache jack-o-lanterns. Now, I don't recall if we had orange crepe paper back in the day. I think we just used torn up pieces of newspaper and then painted them orange when they dried. I definitely know we didn't have Mod Podge. We just used watered down Elmer's Glue. The most fun was popping the balloon after the paper mache had hardened, and then decorating them.

I wish I had saved so much of my Scouting paraphernalia. I wish I had saved all of the Girl Scout books or manuals, my autograph books, etc. The one item I did save is my sash with all of my badges. It cracks me up to look at it and see how I sewed the badges onto the sash. I don't even remember what some of badges are for. I also can't believe I got the sash around me, but then I do remember weighing 39 pounds when I was 6 years old. Our German Shepherd Nicki weighed the same amount and my mom has a picture of the two of us with our weight. I didn't really pork out until the last 10 years. I wonder what sorts of cool crafts Scouts do these days. My mom was my brother's Cub Scout leader for awhile and I used to help her with projects for them. Loads of fun.

So, I really don't have much to talk about today. I'm happy that cooler weather is prevailing, even though I've taken to wearing a baseball cap to protect my face and my hair from the pesky afternoon sun. Ever since I was a kid the sun turns my hair white. People always thought we were putting something on my hair. My friends would lay in the sun for hours and use bottles of Sun-In (I think that's what it was called). Mine just turned naturally, and I didn't care for it. Not my whole head turned, just the hair around my face. Now nature is turning the sides gray and the sun is turning the part touching my forehead white. Oh, yeah-very attractive. Hence, the baseball cap. I think it's interesting that we never get what we want, when it comes to things like hair.

The only other comment I have to make is about the Northwest Passage. And the comment I have is : LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE. I'll be following this issue very closely. I have always been crazy, crazy about anything to do with the Arctic, and I so don't want us to do any more damage than we (and yes I do mean we AMERICANS) have already done to this pristine place.

"Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage
To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea
Tracing one warm line through a land so wide and savage
And make a northwest passage to the sea "
taken from the Northwest Passage song by Stan Rogers

No comments: