Friday, October 19, 2007

Round Up

Take this bigots Nobel prize away from him. It just goes to show everyone's bigotry comes to the forefront one way or another. Am I surprised? No, of course not. I deal with this shit on a daily basis from people who swear they are very, very liberal and don't have a racist bone in their bodies. I'm just disappointed once again.


The international media project This I Believe has a wonderful website. I first heard about this on NPR and I got the book out of the library last week. I like that anyone can post their thoughts and it's just not a celebrity thoughtfest type of project. Some of the entries brought tears to my eyes. Check it out.


I never gave much thougth of the pocket protector and it's been awhile since I've seen anyone sporting one. Here is the history of the pocket protector and the pocket protector collection.


One of my favorite sites is Neatorama. They had a post on the 10 most amazing temples. Hands down the one that totally blew me away is the Tiger's Nest Monastery in Bhutan.


Wikitravel-need I say more?


Fascinating site about the Mao (Sun Yat-sen) suit. Every time I see one of th suits I think of that Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation video. Just can't escape the pop culture.


I have fallen in love with the items from Polka Dot Platypus. If you have babies in your life,believe me, you will want to spend some cash here. Such cute items. And what a delightful name. I always said that if could own a children's bookstore I would name it Knick Knack Paddywack.


K. thanks for telling me about Gridskipper. What a cool site. It's edgy and urban and chock full of information.


Occasionally A. and I will watch some of these judge shows while we are eating dinner. I am absolutely appalled at the way Americans speak. And I'm not talking about regional accents or anything like that. I am talking about deplorable grammar and the horrific buthering of words. It's awful. I think some of these folks should subscribe to Daily Grammar. Yes, I know that I tend to be a maniac about this sort of thing, but I spend a lot of time looking up words. I always have. Nothing has pleased me more than to be able to go to Merriam Webster online and hear word pronunciations. A. and I had a bit of quibble on the way to work this morning on the pronunciation of the word desultory. It's des-ill-torey. We both were a bit off on that one, but now we know.


Once again I am going to whine about the weather. It's October 19th. I need it to be cool and windy. I want to go for a long walk, wearing a sweater, and I want to hear the crunch of beautiful-colored leaves under my feet. While I'm walking I want my hands to be chilled and to feel that nip in the air. I want to return home from my walk and put on one of my Autumnal tarts to burn and have some cider. I CAN'T DO ANY OF THAT IF IT'S 80 DEGREES.


"[The secret of] how to live without resentment or embarrassment in a world in which I was different from everyone else ... was to be indifferent to that difference." - Al Capp

No comments: