Wednesday, April 18, 2007

?????

I have been giving a lot of thought to the Imus situation and after the events of this week it all seems so pointless.

Yes, I am always going to rally against racism and discrimination of any form. I would do this even if I wasn't a minority female. Yes, I do think he should have been fired. I think his firing was more for cumulative reasons, than for just this one statement. Do I think that if he were a black man he would have been fired a long time-yes I do. Am I still angry, bitter and tired of how race seems to impact everything I do and see. You betcha!!!

However, I also am a firm believer in free speech. People should be able to say what they want. And that's where I have to leave this. I am torn between hating the racial and sexist epithets that pour from people, and my love and respect for free speech.

My heart, along with the heart of the nation is broken. With each senseless, violent act that is thrust upon the innocent I think our hearts and souls are forever impaired. I know that mine is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can love freedom of speech and detest hate speech. Freedom of speech was never meant to protect speech that harms. I agree with you: Imus deserved to be fired, but it should have happened years and years ago. We don't need one more bit of racism or sexism in this world.