Thursday, February 08, 2007

Round Up

Thanks Laundress for verifying that the new template is much easier on the eyes. My lurkers have told me they can now lurk much easier too.

I go buy the Newseum most days on the way home from work (when we take the short, boring route). I didn't know it was so close to completion.

By now everyone has seen the adorable photographs of the baby pandas. Now you can help name them. Too cute!!

Oh, I think it would be great to work in a library that did a lot of fun things like this. I think my favorite is the peace-loving bookcart.

If you are a student and looking for something to do for your spring break, look no further. Global Aware: Adventures in Service offers short term,one week, volunteer vacations. What a great way to visit some place new and also to give something back.

It's that time of year and the New England Confectionery Company (NECCO) has teamed up with the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and released ten new pet friendly sayings on their conversation hearts. Purrfect!

The world's oldest newspaper has gone digital. (thanks K. for the link)

Sad goodbyes to Barbara McNair. I don't know if any of you are familiar with this lady, but Barbara McNair was a big deal years ago. She was a singer and an actress, and she was a class act all the way. If you have ever seen my favorite Elvis movie, Change of Habit, then you have seen her. She passed away February 7 at the age of 72 from throat cancer.

This is a short post this week. I hope to do much better next week.


The name February is believed to have derived from the name 'Februa' taken from the Roman 'Festival of Purification'. The root 'februo' meaningto 'I purify by sacrifice'. As part of the seasonal calendar February is the time of the 'Ice Moon' according to Pagan beliefs, and the period described as the 'Moon of the Dark Red Calf' by Black Elk. February has alsobeen known as 'Sprout-kale' by the Anglo-Saxons in relation to the time the kale and cabbage was edible.

No comments: