Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday Round Up

I decided to go with another template. Some of my lurker readers have told me that they can't read my blog while using Netscape. Hopefully this template change will help.

I was so profoundly sad to hear that Molly Ivins had passed away. She was such an amazing woman, and now that's 2 great Texas women gone (Ann Richards). More on her here and here.

Every once in awhile I fall in love with a font. Lately I've been ga-ga over CgCloister. I've been reading The Conjurer's Bird by Martin Davies. Not only is this a good read, but the CgCloister font seems to add to the richness of the story. Hunting around for fonts, I came across the 100 Best Fonts. The site is in German, but then so are so many font names. And the number 1 font-drum roll please- Helvetica.

That must be why there is a documentary entitled Helvetica. The film is aboud typography and design. Sounds like another documentary to add to my list of must-sees.

When I was a kid I collected stamps for a brief, brief moment. I still like stamps and I am fascinated by philately. Look at this very cool page Alphabetilately. Love, love the index. Beware: Once you start going through the index you will not want to leave.

Check out this kid, his Game Boy and his locations.

So your hunting around for an image, but you are nervous about using it because of copyright issues. I know you are thinking, "If I only could find out if this is in the public domain?" or "How can I find public domain images?. Wikipedia to the rescue.

Look at all of the folks who have received Honorary Harvard degrees. (I know I'm getting listy again).

If you are watching calories, and who isn't you might want to know what sort of goodies you can consume that have 200 calories. Only 8 Hershey Kisses. I'm so depressed.

Have a nice weekend.

Of the many unforeseen consequences of typography, the emergence of nationalism is, perhaps, the most familiar” Marshall McLuhan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello there Libby,

Glad you went with the new template, nice and clear plus loaded quickly.

I am a font-addict too. The font is part of the reading experience -- my husband teases me about this, but it does matter.

More fantastic links, thank you for finding them and sharing. That Alphabetilately site is brilliant, clever named, beautifully done.

The 200 calories assorted foods images made me very hungry. Even the celery is beautifully photographed. I would combine that with the tiny 34 gram dab of peanut butter and have a 400 calorie snack. Before I saw these pictures, I would have felt quite virtous for eating a mound of celery and a wee bit of peanut butter. Heck. But good to know.

Love that whole Wise Geek site, new to me and much fun. Off to explore!

Thanks again,
The Laundress