Thursday, October 26, 2006

Round Up

If you are on the look out for an unusual job, I think I may have found something for you.

I'm not all that much of a team sports fan, but I have been to quite a few Pittsburgh Pirates games. This was many years ago when they were still playing at their former home Three Rivers Stadium. That was also back when I was absolutely ga ga over Roberto Clemente. I was absolutely crushed when he was killed.

Me going to any sports venue consisted of me people-watching, eating, running to the rest room and usually reading my latest Nancy Drew or some other book. Perhaps if I had been reading some baseball fiction, while watching the game I would have had a better time.

Another photograph and search site-Pixsy.

I think most of us have a Pyrex measuring cup or possibly a Pyrex casserole hiding out in our kitchen cupboards. Well, in my web wanderings I found a Pyrex blog. And after looking at this woman's collection I am green with envy. There's even purple pyrex. MUST GET SOME!!! And also Flickr Pyrex. Hey, where have I been? There's a Flickr blog.

The Elder Wisdom Circle was founded on the premise that people over 60 have wisdom to impart. Its 250 members nationwide offer advice to thousands who e-mail the group's Web site. These self-described "cyber-grandparents" even have a column that appears in several small newspapers.

Many Circle members are computer-savvy seniors in their 60s, 70s and 80s. But the network also taps residents of nursing homes and old-age centers who may not be computer literate. Facilitators meet with groups of these elders, reading aloud letters and taking notes on the combined comments. The group's advice is later e-mailed back to the sender.
I think this is just a wonderful idea. Here's the NPR story on the circle.

For those of you who celebrate Halloween have a spooktacular one!!



I was going to leave you with Robert Burns poem Halloween until I saw how long it was. I still think it's worth the read though.

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and
tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's
sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm
of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and
bubble
." William Shakespeare, Witches in Macbeth

No comments: