Monday, July 03, 2006

Muffins

I attended a children's tea this weekend and I ended up making the following recipe. I made it into mini-muffins and they were a big hit. Not just with the kids.

SNICKERS AND PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
3 1/2 full size (2.07 ounces) Snickers bars,
chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder,
and salt. Add the melted buter and egg to the
milk, and then stir this gently into the bowl.
Mix in the Snickers pieces and dollop into the
muffin cups/pan.

Cook for 20-25 minutes, when the tops should be
risenm, golden and firm to the touch. Let the
pan rest on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before
taking out of the pan. If you aren't making
mini-muffins you should get 12 muffins. I got
24 mini-muffins out of this recipe.
The only tips I have are the same tips I have for everything I bake: room temperature ingredients, I used organic flour and peanut butter and I make my own baking powder. I generally check before I take food to different places to see if anyone is vegan, vegetarian, nut allergies, etc. I also have been known to put out my food with a listing of what ingredients I use. As someone who has had extreme allergic reactions to different foods and has seen horrible reactions from people who are allergic to nuts and ended up eating something that they didn't know contained nuts, I would rather be safe than sorry. Also, I am just a bid noid.

I was thinking of trying this recipe with some organic candy bar and substituting the sugar with Splenda and the milk with soy milk. I might have to try that.

Have a great day and if you celebrate the 4th-Have a good one.

"The bagel, an unsweetened doughnut with rigor mortis." ~Beatrice & Ira Freeman

"The woman just ahead of you at the supermarket checkout has all the delectable groceries you didn't even know they carried." ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Golly, Ms. Libby,

this recipe is delicious, just to read. I want to make some right now. Never mind that healthy alternative.

I am impressed, you come up with links to cool websites plus truly and dreadfully funny quotations.

Hope all is well?