Friday, June 09, 2006

Friday Round Up

This deserves further research, but I didn't think there were many membership libraries around. I know that there are different private clubs that have libraries, but I didn't think there were many/any true membership libraries. The Mercantile Library is a membership library and has been around since 1835.

If you are pulling your hair out trying to think of fun projects for the kids this summer take a look at Kiddley. What a fun sight. This is an Australian blog, but most of the projects, like the button bouquet, can be done anywhere.

I go through period where I will read a couple biographies and then I won't pick another one up for a couple of years. I used to subscribe to Biographies magazine and I enjoyed it, but at that time they seemed to feature a lot of celebrities. I enjoy reading up celebrities just like the next person, but there's so many other magazines that are devoted to these folks. Wikibios premise is simple-you don't have to be a famous celebrity to have a life worth documenting.

I keep getting into discussions about collections and I started surfing the web looking to see what sorts of items are collected. Michael Sauers collects library cards. He's scanned some of his collection. Some of these cards are quite creative like the one issued by the Pueblo, Colorado City-County Library District. Thirteen year old Cory Peterson also collects library cards. He and his mom take road trips, or as Cory calls them, library card trips, and they visit as many different libraries as they can.

And staying with this entry's theme of libraries and collections how about the Beer Stein Library?

I have read and perused so many blogs, but I must say the most beautiful blog I have come across has to be Woodsong. This is a nature blog at it's finest.

Have a great weekend.

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, / Two things stand like stone, / Kindness in another's trouble, / Courage in your own." - Adam Lindsay Gordon

No comments: