Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Why oh Why oh Why

Why, oh why, oh why haven't Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop received (more) accolades for their acting on Gilmore Girls? I'm not big on all of these award shows. I always think it's gilding the lily so to speak, but these two are really wonderful actresses, and make the show in my humble opinion.

And with that being said the 2006 Goldman Environmental Award Winners List is out. The Goldman Environmental Prize has been called the "Nobel for the environment" award. It is the largest environmental award and it has been awarded to six grassroots environmental activists representing North America, Africa, Asia, South and Central America, Europe, and Islands and Island Nations. The North American winner is Craig Williams. He stopped the Pentagon from incinerating stockpiles of chemical weapons stored in various locations around the United States. The prize comes with an unrestriced award of $125,000.

I'm a bit late in finding this out, but Terry Belanger, university professor and Honorary Curator of Special Collections at the University of Virginia won a MacArthur Foundation award last year. I had heard of Mr. Belanger before I went to library school, and in quite a few of my classes his name was mentioned time and time agains as the rare book preservationist guru. In one class we watched a film that he was in about book preservation. He started the Rare Book School in 1983 at Columbia University, and moved the school to its present location at the University of Virginia. Here is a list of last year's winners.


"So I accept these awards on behalf of the cake bakers and all of those other women who can do some things quite as important, if not more important, than flying, as well as in the name of women flying today". - Amelia Earhart

"I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either". Jack Benny (1894 - 1974)

No comments: