Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday Round-Up

I was fortunate because there was alway a lot of reading material around my house when I was a kid. Lots of books, lots of magazines. My mother subscribed to Highlights and American Girl for me, and there was one other kid magazine that I got, but I can't recall the title. I received American Girl from the time I was in grade school all the way into high school. I remember when I gave my collection of American Girl magazines away, and now I wish I would have held onto them. What was even more fun than reading my own magazines was reading my mothers. Looking through the pages of Good Housekeeping and McCalls always made me feel a bit older, somehow more sophisticated. One of items that McCalls had was the paper dolls. I think "her" name was Betsy McCall and each month there was a different theme with various theme-related dresses. I can remember getting my round-tipped scissors and cutting these out, and what I did with them afterwards is anyone's guess. I actually think I was more enthralled in cutting them out than anything else. All of these memories came rushing back to me when I stubled on this Paper Dolls on the Web page. Which led to this Paper Doll Printable Cut-Outs page.

I was looking for the Vindication of Rights by Mary Wollstonecraft. I ended up finding it on the Internet Saced Text Archive. Name a sacred or historical text, and it's more than likely on this site. Want to take a gander at Leonardo Da Vinci's Notebooks. They are here, as well as the Current Phase of the Moon (it's waxing half today)and various selections from Rumi. The site is searchable and is updated frequently (I am constantly looking to see when sites like this are updated).

The R.R. Donnelly Publishing Company started the Lakeside Classics series in 1903. The founder's son Thomas E. Donnelly believed that a simple book, dignified and well designed, would be an appropriate holiday gift.The basic format of the Lakeside Classics has remained the same for more than 100 years, testifying to the sound design of the first volume. Each 25 years the cover material is changed and type style adjusted to keep pace with current developments in fine book making.

The early volumes consisted of speeches and writings of noted Americans. In 1911 the series took its present style-first-person narratives about American history taken from books long out of print and not easily obtainable. In the 1980s, the series covered history on the North American continent. During the 1990s R.R. Donnelly the series was expanded to include narratives by American writers about international experiences. You can't purchase a Lakeside Classic from the company. They are sent annually to employees, retired employees, stockholders and some customers. Here is the entire list of Lakeside Classics.


"The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go."

-Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there Libby,

oh, you are getting the horrid blog-spam! Sorry about that... I think the Blogger help can assist you in preventing!

Oh, I remember that Betsy McCall too, loved those paper dolls. Kind of sad that neither of my kids ever discovered the pleasures of paper dolls.

You are such a LIBRARIAN, checking up on updates. Love that bit...

Off to inspect the other links. All the best!

The Laundress!