Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Einstein

Of all of the statues that are located in Washington, DC, I think my favorite is the statue of Albert Einstein that is located outside of the National Academy of Science. There is just something about the relaxed pose of this statue that makes you just want to crawl up on his lap and have this amazing man tell tell you a story. No matter what your age.

I have always been an Einstein groupie. Ever since high school. Do I really understand the theory of relativity? Nah!!! I admire anyone that has such a fabulous brain, but for me it's more the person that intrigues me. Everything that I have read about him has led me to believe that he was just an exemplary human being, a good man. That's what has always made me such a fan.

I try and read any and everything I can about him. I was reading an article in Seed magazine about various poems that have been written about Einstein. The poet Delmore Schwartz wrote a poem entitled Albert Einstein to Archibald MacLeish.

Archibald MacLeish also published a a very long poem entitled Einstein, as well as Robert William Service. (if anyone can find a link to the MacLeish poem, please let me know)

The poem St. Francis Einstein of the Daffodils by William Carlos Williams commemorates Einstein's first visit to the United States in 1921.


Allen Ginsberg mentions Einstein in his poems Nagasaki Days and Cosmopolitan Greetings.

The article mentioned the 1965 Bob Dylan song Desolation Row. In the song Dylan mentions Einstein dressed like Robin Hood giving the hope of cheap electricity to the poor. Geez, with Maryland's electricity going up by 72% staring in June, I wish that had been true. I was trying to find other songs that mention Einstein or even better yet are about Einstein.

The one song that I found was As Time Goes By. You know, the wonderful tune sung by Dooley Wilson in the movie Casablanca. Check out the lyrics.

If anyone knows of any other poems or songs about my guy please let me know.

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

All of the above quotes are attributed to Albert Einstein.

No comments: