Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Lips

I was talking to an acquaintance over the weekend and we started talking about makeup, specifically lipstick. Well, I love makeup. I love all of it-bath products, makeup, perfume-the works. I always have ever since I was a kid.

We started talking about the different lipsticks we have worn and I was thinking how I don't wear lipstick at work anymore. I still wear eye makeup to work, but I stopped wearing lipstick at work quite a few years ago. Part of it has to do with the fact that I hate work and don't care what I look like all that much when I am there. I started thinking about how much I loathe it here and wondered why the feeling is so visceral. I really think it has to do with the fact that I am surrounded by a bunch of racially retarded, common folk. Yes, most of these people are educated, but education can still only do so much. Their true low-class, common selves shines through. For a long time I thought it was just me, but I talked to some of the other women of color here, and they feel the same way that I do. We are working in/on one big plantation.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the lipstick. I do wear lipstick on the weekends. I have been wearing M.A.C.'s Twig lipstick for years. I just looked at Twig on their site and the color is not that dark in the tube. I have been searching for a red lipstick that I can wear, but I have so much trouble with red. It tends to draw on me, and that's almost every brand I have tried. Even when I tried a lip pencil-the red lipstick still wasn't write.

These days I am a fan of lip balms or light lip glosses. Here are the ones that I use: Smith's Rosebud Salve. I love how this is still made by the Smith family and I also love the product. It gives a subtle hint of pink to your lips. It is also great on paper cuts and abrasions. Actually I like Bag Balm for paper cuts. I have a cute little tin that I keep in my desk at work. A really great product.

Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 is also great. I have been using this since it first came out and I still always have a tube of Cherry Chapstick in my purse. The newest lip balm to join my repertoir is C.O. Bigelow's Mentha Lip Shine. It's infused with peppermint so you get that cool refreshing feeling plus a bit of shine. Very nice.

A cute sight that has oodles of lip balms and glosses is Lipmedic. Some of the other lip balm products that I have tried are Burt's Bee's and some of the different W.S. Badger products. These can be found on the Lipmedic site.

No comments: