Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Serendipity

I will always be amazed at the wonderful bits of trivia I pick up on a daily basis. Remembering all of these bits of information is something that my poor, addled brain has a hard time doing. Short-term memory. What's that!!! But, ask me about a a brown dress with lace that I used to have in first grade and I can tell you all about it.

Here are some tidbits that I picked up in the last few days:

Sammy Davis Jr.'s mother was Puerto Rican.

Jamie Fox is a classically trained pianist.

There is a Celebrity Impersonators Convention. Last year (2004) it was held at the Imperial Palace Hotel in Las Vegas.

An apocopation is a type of metaplasm (don't you just love when you are reading a definition and then have to look up the words that are used to define the word that you didn't know the definition to in the first place) that refers to a shortened form of a longer word, where the end of the original word has been omitted. For example abs for abdominal and auto for automobile.

The marvelous Wikipedia has a listing of these words.


No comments: