Wednesday, January 19, 2005

3 Ladies

Three ladies passed away in the last couple of days and hearing of their deaths made me stop and pause for a moment. Charlotte MacLeod was a mystery writer. She was 82 years old at the time of her death. She wrote cozy mysteries. You know, those nice mysteries that really don't have a lot of blood and guts, are filled with quirky small-town characters and contain very little violence, sex, or coarse language. By the end of the story, the criminal is punished and order is restored to the community. I have read and loved all of Charlotte MacLeod's mysteries. She also wrote under the name of Alisa Craig. One of the obituaries written about her stated that she really was an old-fashioned lady with gloves and great grammar. I will really miss knowing there won't be any more great stories coming from this wonderful author.

Ruth Warrick also passed away this week. I can remember being in college and stealing away to watch the soap opera All My Children-this was way back in the late 70's. Ms. Warrick played Phoebe Wallingford. She was absolutely magnificent in this role. I haven't watched soaps in years, but from reading some of the obits written about her, she was still apparently playing that role on All My Children. She also played Orson Welles' wife in the magnificent movie Citizen Kane. She was 89 years old.

Virginia Mayo was an actress who played in a lot of those wonderful musicals from the 40's. She was a dancer who appeared in some great comedies with Danny Kaye-The Kid From Brooklyn (1946) and my favorite The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947). She was 84 at the time of her death.
All three of these great ladies gave me immense pleasure at one time or another during my life and I wanted to spend some time remembering them.

"Death comes to all, but great achievements raise a monument which shall endure until the sun grows old." George Fabricius, "In Praise of Georgius Agricola".

No comments: