Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Round Up

Feast your eyes on the quagga. This poor baby is extinct, but there is a Quagga Project in the works and "they" are trying to have the quagga make a return.












Airport Dining.net

Today is International Women's Day. Yes, this should have been the first item that I mentioned, not the quagga, and now I am too lazy to move the quagga down. So there! It's also Mardi Gras.

Did you know that mind-bender Uri Geller owned an island?

Books: Moby Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them by Donovan Hohn (Viking Adult). I have this on hold at my local library.

Also, How the Government Got in Your Backyard: Superweeds, Frankenfoods, Lawn Wars and the (Nonpartisan) Truth About Environmental Policies (Timber Press) by Jeff Gillmand and Eric Herberling.

Gaelic Place Names of Scotland.

Smithsonian Research Online (SRO) is a searchable database established to enable users to located journals and research papers authored by Smithsonian Institition staff. This database is maintained by Smithsonian Institution Libraries (SIL).

Diggin' Oil of Olay's new bar soap. Why didn't someone think of this years ago?

Dolly Parton has been giving away books to children for years, now she's taken the Imagination Library across the Pond.

Who owns Kafka?

A book club turns one-hundred. How cool!!!

Google, Google you are indeed everywhere-introducing the Google Art Project.

Forvo is an online pronunciation dictionary. The public can add entries, but they will be checked (and I hope triple checked).

A treasure trove of Thomas Jefferson's books have been found at Washington Unversity in St. Louis, Missouri.

Since I whine about this every single year, I don't want to be remiss and not whine about Daylight Savings Time (DST) this year. It's this weekend folks. Yes, I still loathe it. I want it to be, I need it to be light at 6:00 a.m. and dark at 6:00 p.m. I don't see any need for it to be light at 9:00 at NIGHT. Plus, to me DST is just a harbinger of dreaded hot weather, which I also loathe. Okay, I'm done.

A robin just landed on the balcony outside a few minutes ago. The first one I have seen this year. I guess it's true-spring is on its way.

That's all for this week. Have a good one.

"Among those whom I like or adore, I can find no common denominator, but among those I love, I can. All of them make me laugh." W.H. Auden

No comments: