Friday, October 15, 2010

Round Up

Collective sigh of relief hearing the news that the 33 miners and the rescue workers are all safe. Nice to have great news for a change.

R.I.P. Solomon Burke-King of Rock and Soul

R.I.P. Joan Sutherland

Always on the lookout for interesting organizations, government or other-how about the National Climate Extremes Committee, part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Why do zippers have YKK on them? Hmmmm.......

I like witches so I would not use these gorgeous witch balls to disuade a visit. I have always had a thing for glass orbs-crystal balls, Christmas ornaments, floats-there's just something about them. They are beautiful pieces of art. More here.

Love, love, love this sign. This site has a lot of very nice signs.

Catalog Living (Tee-Hee)

Choc-O-Lantern Pop Tarts and Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts.

Everyone knows Martha Stewart loves Halloween and every year she outdoes herself with great Halloween crafts and decorating ideas and yummy treat recipes.

Brett Herbst-King of the Corn Maze.

Recycling cork-a good thing.

Falls pumpkin beers.

Love this embroidery.

99 fun facts about dogs.

Fold your towels just like the ones in a department store.

I've been hearing about this Orange-Scented Olive Oil Cake for years, but have never made it, or for that matter, tasted it. I may have to break down and make it.

The Library of America has a boxed set of 6 of Lynd Wards novels that he did in woodcut. Incredible!! More information on Lynd Ward.

I am going to keep saying this, but you must get out and vote. It's imperative Progressive that you VOTE!!!!

Have a nice weekend. I think a grilled cheddar and cherry preserves sandwich sounds like a nice treat this weekend. Munched on while I enjoy my book and a Fireside tart.

"Corn and grain, corn and grain, All that falls shall rise again."- Wiccan Harvest Chant


5 comments:

teejay said...

Hi there! I cam to your blog via the website 'Flashlight Worthy' as I was looking (perhaps in vain) for a dimly remembered children's picturebook of the 1980s which featured tiny mice pictured in very detailed urban settings; somewhat like the Brambly Hedge series, but the setting was urban. The mice would go to ballet classes and the like; I think the book/s were likely British. Does this ring a bell for you in terms of your "84-page bibliography" of mouse-protagonist books, perchance?? (I am so desperate to re-discover the name and author of this book or books!) Thanks so much for considering my query...

Libby said...

Hi Teejay,

You didn't leave a link where I could respond to your query, so I'll answer it here.

I think you might be thinking of the Angelina Ballerina books by Katherine Holabird and illustrator Helen Craig. Angelina and her friends are al mice, they attend ballet school and get into all sorts of mischief.

This is a very prolific series. There is also a delightful animated program Angelina Ballerian that airs on different networks. It's delightful as well. Dame Judi Dench voices the character of Miss Lilly, Angelina's ballet teacher.

I hope this helps.

As for the bibliography-it's up to 86 pages now. I haven't updated in awhile.

L.

teejay said...

Hi L

Thank you so much for attempting to answer my query - much appreciated!

Unfortunately, I am showing my age as the book or books I'm thinking of much pre-date the Angelina Ballerina ones, and were much less of a 'cultural phenomenon' than the latter has proved to be!

My quest goes on...

Thanks again!

teejay

Libby said...

Hi Teejay,

I am going to try and solve this mystery. You have piqued my curiosity. When I find it (notice I said when) I'll post my answer here.

L.

Libby said...

One place you may want to look is the Loganberry Books website. It's a used bookstore, but they have a huge feature on their site called Stump the Bookseller. It now costs $2.00 to submit a query, but you can troll through their archives. That's where I am going to start. This will also help with my bibliography to see if I have missed any mouse books. If you find what you are seeking please let me know.

L.