Friday, January 22, 2010

Round Up

Just a few items for this week.

So far, 2010 has started off on a very sad note. R.I.P. Teddy Pendergrass, Mary Daly, Kate McGarrigle and Robert Parker. Thank you for entertaining and eduating me throughout the years.

Book of interest (I'm a train nut): Waiting on a Train: The Embattled Future of Passenger Rail Service by James McCommons.

This clustered felted stone mat is cool, but the price is totally ridiculous.

What would Dr. King Make of Twitter? (Vanity Fair)

Contrariwise keeps adding to their literary tattoos.

I might as well just get this off of my chest-"Supreme Court. You suck!!" I feel much better

The American Dialect Society voted "tweet" the word of the year for 2009, and the word "Google" for the word of the decade. (Scroll down to the January 8, 2010 post). I think the Society needs to jazz up their site just a bit. Here is an article about the word selections.

I have always loved cowl necks and these cowls at Knittles are gorgeous.

One thing that I noticed about most of these weight-loss commercials is that they are all geared towards women. Oh yes, I think it was Nutrisystem (and if I'm wrong forgive me) that had some famousish men like Dan Marino and some others hawking their program, but for the most part it's all geared towards women like they are the only gender that's overweight. We still have such a long way to go. And while I am on my soapbox about this, those after Christmas Special K commercials are ridiculous.

Hand-painted Peanuts gang tee.

Charity Water-one of the many organizations that does incredible work.

BBC Pronunciation Guide. This is great, but it could be problematical for us Yanks.

When I worked at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) library we received so many queries ab out what was recyclable. Juice Boxes were a popular query and caps from all sorts of bottles. I was reminded of this when I saw that Aveda is working with schools and has a cap recycling program.

The Motherhood Foundation is going to have a Museum of Motherhood.

Save the Words-make sure you move your mouse around the foundation page of the site. Very cute!!

A sweet preview for Valentines Day. I love the deep red of these macarons, but $29.00 for a dozen of these lovelies. Good Grief we pay up the wazoo for convenience. You could probably bake 3 dozen for that amount of money. Williams Sonoma you are the bomb, but my goodness.

Booklife-network for book lovers.


I leave you with this gorgeous winter sunrise. Have a nice weekend.




"Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame." - Alexander Pope

No comments: