Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Round Up

My heart goes out to the Haitian people this morning. What a devastating situation!!

This looks like a very cool publication: Boneshaker: A Bicycling Almanac

Meatpaper is an online publication about meat; yes meat. As a vegetarian I had some problems with Meatpaper, but I found it so interesting that I found myself reading some of the articles.

WORDIA-a visual dictionary

Visuwords-a graphical dictionary and thesaurus

Cookbooker enables you to rate and review cookbook recipes

Trying to find just the right candle for a gift or other special occasion. Check out Candlefind.

The top cultural and educational video sites.

Thumb thing-a simple invention for reading books

I was thinking the other day that vitamins should be in the shape of the letter they are. Vitamin A should be the letter, C should be see and so on and so on. But then you get to those pesky B vitamins, B5, B6, B12 and on and on. I guess those could be color coded or everyone could start calling them Pantothenic Acid instead of B5, or Niacin for B3. What about multivitamins? Those could be color coded as well. And the system would be universal. Yes, there are some kinks in my system, but they can be ironed out.

Do you like Camel case? There are quite a few definitions for camel case, but read Wikipedia's entry. Camel case is where an upper case letter is used to link compound words. Like iPod, eBay. I am not a fan, and now I see that I am not the only hater.

I love, love, love this digital copyright slider.

Some more books that I want to read: The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray. This incredible author has a wonderful website. Even if you aren't a Periodic Table nut like myself I think you will still find his website interesting. He even has an entire page devoted to Periodic Table products. I am in shopping nirvana. And just gaze at this Periodic Table wooden table.

The other book that has piqued my interest is Mr. Langshaw's Square Piano: The Story of the First Pianos and How They Caused a Cultural Revolution by Madeline Goold. Apparently this book has been out Britain for awhile. More about the book here.

Katherine Patterson, author of Bridge to Terabitha and Jacob Have I Loved (I didn't read either of these wonderful books until I was middle-aged), and many other books, was named the National Ambassador of Young People's Literature.

I think Twitter should ask "What are you thinking?" as opposed to What's happening?

Some of the best comic and graphic novels of 2009.

Ulysses "seen", a Ulysses comic.

I must have read The Diary of Anne Frank twenty times when I was a tween. I adored that book, and anytime I hear anything about the book or Anne Frank, I am always interested. I was saddend to hear that Miep Gies , the last of Anne Frank's protectors, passed away at the age of 100.

Monday, January 18, 2010 is the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Day of Service. Get off your duff and do something for someone else that day.






"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Discrimination is a hellhound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them. " Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: