Friday, June 05, 2009

Round Up

The 5th Anniversary Duke Ellington Jazz Festival takes place from June 5-June 15, 2009. Lots of great venues, lots of great musicians.

Came across a note I made to myself about The Badminton Library. When I wrote this note-I have no idea, why-no idea, but it's interesting.

R.I.P Marilyn French

Marilynne Robinson won the prestigious Orange Prize for her novel Home.

Slate has a food issue.

What do designer Louis Vuitton and astronaut Buzz Aldrin have in common? A new ad campaign that's what.

I was taught not to use the serial comma, but I love that it is a bone of contention for folks. Here's what Grammar Girl has to say about it.

Science fiction-I have been known to watch some science fiction, but read the genre-absolutely not. However, I love the Art of Penguin Science Fiction site. In fact, I just love Penguin.

The United States government has a YouTube channel. Links to many government organizations.

Was the Star Spangled Banner a drinking song? Good Grief-it's hard enough to sing sober.

If you like moose, (how can you not?) visit Mooseworld.

The British Library is mapping sounds. The Archival Sound Recording site has a very cool feature. The sounds are mapped on Google maps and the viewer can click on a section of the map and here sounds-human accents and sounds from nature that are found in that area. I was going to say they are indigenous to that area, but they might not be, or are they? Okay, I'm thinking about this too much. Here is the Accents and Dialects map.

If you have a camera and some type of bench why not join the Flickr pool-Bench Monday.

Character Constructions has some wonderful, unusual stamps.

100 Awesome Blogs by some of the world's smartest people.

Museopen is a community-driven, online repository of classical music.

Science author Hannah Holmes has a wonderful blog entry on mockingbirds.

10 Jobs You Didn't Hear About on Career Day

Have a great weekend.

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office." Robert Frost

No comments: