Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Round Up


No matter how many times I see this, it still cracks me up!!!


Oh goody! NPR's Science friday has a blog.


Michael Pollan for Secretary of Agriculture.


Cute things falling asleep.


Washington, DC is crazy, crazy with excitement. I had to laugh yesterday as I was taking my commuter bus home. The bus goes down Constitution Avenue and I look over to the right and there is the White House, and I look over to the left and there is the Washington Monument. There's temporary fencing everywhere, and literally hundreds of port-a-potties. It just cracked us up on the bus. We were all commenting on the potties, when lo and behold, here comes a truck with more of them.


See how artists, writers and other folks organize their daily lives at Daily Routine.


It's official! U.S. News and World Report finds that being a librarian is one of the best careers for 2009.


Lovely photographs at Daily Dose of Imagery.

Obama mania has hit Etsy.


FORA.tv-videos covering todays top social, political and world stories.

2009 is the bicentennial of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, Elizabeth Ann Seton (I'm partial, my alma mater Seton Hill College-now Seton Hill University) is named for her, and Edgar Allan Poe.


2009 is also the International Year of Astronomy.

Europeana provides acces to millions of digitized items from European libraries, museums, archives and various other institutions. (it's still a bit clunky, but give it time).

The Tomorrow Museum is a collection of images and speculative essays exploring how technology, science, and economics are affecting the fine arts.

I just started reading A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel Pink. Daniel Pink was the chief speechwriter for Vice President Al Gore. He is a contributing editor to Wired, has written articles for various magazines. He also has a very cool blog.


Yum-homemade Girl Scout cookie recipes. Samoas, Thin Mints, Do-Si-Dos, and Tagalongs. Listen, I was a Girl Scout for years and sold and ate many a cookie. You can still make these healthier versions, and then contribute some cash to the Scouts.


I think these Houndsley and Catina books are so cute. Houndsley is a dog (of course), and you can guess what Catina is (a cat). I love these two characters created by James Howe (you know, Bunnicula's dad).


If you aren't reading The Elegant Variation literary blog you should be.


Dr. Johnson's Dictionary is a word-a-day collection of Samuel Johnson' s word definitions.


So next Tuesday (1/20/09) is the day. I hope that those of you that can't make it to WDC will watch television and see history being made.


"I've always felt like an American, but I finally feel like I can put my suitcase down." Whoopi Goldberg






No comments: