Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Round Up

In my last post I mentioned the book The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford, and I also mentioned that there was a movie adaptation of the book. Well, the same co-worker that told me about this delightful story loaned me his copy of the movie. It was wonderful. I love when people tell you about something that you have never heard of before and you end up falling in love with it, and it becomes part of you.

What ever happened to Anacin? Bufferin?

I love almost any rendition of Ode to Joy that I have heard, but I think this is my favorite.

I came across and interesting journal in my travels-Borrowers and Lenders: The Journal of Shakespeare and Appropriation. It's a journal that discusses the all of the different media that borrows from Shakespeare's many works. Here are the articles from the current issue.

Knol-Google's Wikipedia.

Chocolate Chip Popcorn Brownies.

Cake Wrecks-when professional cakes go horribly wrong.

Something else I had never seen before are these very collectible calendar tiles.

I think I wrote A's and my front yard grass woes. After all of our hard work last fall, digging the front yard out by hand (thankfully it is a small front yard), doing everything we either read about doing or were told by so-called experts, we had gorgeous, golf course grass (without all of the horrid chemicals that golf courses use to maintain all of that Emerald Isle green). It was growing so fast A. had to start cutting it in very early spring. The neighbors were giving us lots of compliments on the yard. As soon as the horrid hot weather started, we could see the grass getting browner and browner. Now the entire middle section is dead. We are finished. We have spent a ton of money on this yard so now we are hiring a landscape architect to give us guidance. Last year our water bill was astronomical with all of the watering we did. We are both fairly demoralized with anything to do with homes. We really wanted to sell this year, but with the housing market in the dumps (and really someone should see prison time for this fiasco) it looks like we will stay put for awhile. It will be interesting to see exactly what the problem is with the yard. It seems to be like me and just wilts as soon as it gets too hot. Who knows???

One more vent and then I'm through. What I long for in my next job, along with fair, unbigoted treatment, a decent salary, and congenial co-workers, is for work and lunch rooms. When I was in library school we visited quite a few libraries and so many of the newer ones had at least a designated work room. My favorite was at a library quite close to where I am located. Not only does this library have a work room, it also has counters and tables that are high enough so that most people don't have to damage their backs to work at the counter. If someone is particuarly tall they had wonderful stools to sit on. Bliss!!

Have an interest in History blogs. Here is a list.

The author of The Dante Club, Matthew Pearl, has some book suggestions for Dante lovers.

The 25 Most Modern Libraries in the World.

Norman, Oklahoma home of the National Weather Center.

That's all for today folks. Have a good one.

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality." Dante Alighieri

No comments: