Thursday, April 17, 2008

Round Up

Two tips.

Tip #1. I think I thought that everyone did this so I was surprised when I was having a conversation with someone and she was complaining abour disposable razors. She said that she felt they were a waste for many reasons, the environmental impact, but also because they don't last for any time at all. I suggested that after using she dry the razor. I've been doing that since I can remember and it extends the life of the razor. I don't care if it's a disposable or you are using a real razor with razor blades. Try it, you'll like it.

Tip #2 Aspirin. The real thing. Not acetaminophen or iburprofen. Aspirin. When you are washing your whites, let the water fill, it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, put your clothes in, add 1 aspirin, and let it rip. Your whites will be whiter than ever.

Two more publishers with blogs: Beacon Press has the Beacon Broadside and the Overlook Press blog.

Yippee! JSTOR (Journal Storage) has a new look.

I'm a bit late, but here are 30 Library Technology predictions for 2008.

I think this healthcare VISA giftcard is a great idea.

I read a snippet in More magazine that some names are on the outs. The article stated that generally if someone is named Nancy or Linda, they are usually of a certain age. I was thinking of the women that I know with those names, and they are correct. Folks just aren't naming their girls those sorts of names anymore. I was thinking there probably aren't a lot of Mildreds, Connies or Donnas in the daycares either.

I'll have to add the New Georgia Encyclopedia to my list of favorite online encyclopedias.

The Hospital Broadcasting Association is a UK-based umbrella organization for radio stations based in hospitals. Yep, you read correctly. I did a cursory search to see if there are/were any radio stations based in hospitals here in the states, but I didn't come up with any.

Superfund is the federal program that investigates and cleans up the most complex uncontrolled or abandoned hazardous waste sites in the country." As of September 2007 there are 1,315 final and proposed sites on the National Priorities List (NPL), but thousands more wait for approval.

Superfund365 is where art meets toxic waste. Starting September 1, 2007, every day for 1 year Superfund365 will visit one toxic site currently active in the Superfund program run by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Superfund365 is trying to raise awareness of the expiration of this: Polluter Pays Fees. With the expiration of this fee, innocent Americans are picking up the bill instead of the polluters who need to be held accountable.

With all of the beautiful blooming buds around I started reading some of my favorite gardening blogs. There are literally a "garden" of gardening blogs listed on blotanical-a gardening blog directory.

Darwin's first draft goes online.

I leave you with a bit of spring.

"The tulip's petals shine in dew, All beautiful, but none alike."
- James Montgomery, On Planting a Tulip-Root

No comments: