Friday, September 09, 2005

Friday Wrap Up

Watercraft and trains have always been a fascination for me. I love all sorts of watercraft from rowboats to yachts. I find it fascinating that so many of our ancestors came to this country on ships; whether they were forced to come or came on their own accord they generally arrived here by ships.

The Ship List is chock full of ships' passengers lists. There's even information on marriages at sea and shipwrecks. Very interesting site.

I am always amazed at the wonderful items people choose to collect. I was aware that people collected all sorts of transportation timetables, and now some nice person has a site of maritime timetable images. I could look at these ephemera images all day. They are just amazing.

Uniball Vision Elite-that's my current favorite pen. I love the weight of it and how smoothly the ink glides across the paper. Plus it's refillable. I always, always, always use black ink. Or occasionally purple. I have been using pens since senior high school. I never liked pencils, and I was thrilled when I entered 10th grade and we were allowed to use pens. I even collect floaty pens, but that's for another post.

I suppose there are pen people and pencil people. One pencil person has an excellent blog on the subject Pencil Revolution. I have become totally fascinated with all of the pencil factoids and other information on this blog. Timberlines is another pencil blog, but this blog focuses on the pencil industry. Absolutely fascinating.

Take a gander at the world's largest pencil. The gentleman behind the pencil is Count
Count Anton Wolfgang von Faber-Castell in front of the family castle at Stein near Nuremberg. I have seen and used Faber-Castell products, but never actually thought about it being a family owned company. They have been making writing instruments since the 1700s.

Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

WoodChuck said...

thanks for the nice comment on Timberlines blog and the links from your own.

Let me know if you'd like to try a few of our fine Palomino pencils gratis.