Monday, July 25, 2005

Work

Since my last diatribe on work I thought I would try another tack about work and explore some "out of the ordinary" jobs and organizations.

Everyone who knows me well knows that I love to dance. That's what I should have pursued, but that's neither here nor there. There is an organization that's mission is to "advance the art of dance through a system of notation". The website goes into what this means exactly and more. And there's a link for their library.

I don't think we really think about heavy machinery unless we a. see some, b. need some or c. some machinery that we need breaks. The folks who install and repair machinery are millwrights. Here is some information on this occupation.

I have always been drawn to anything to do with cold weather. I love winter, cold-weater mysteries and would love to live way,way the hell up North. I also have had a fascination with this profession. Ever since this program came on the Discovery Channel I have been like a kid with a new toy.

When I was a kid I used to go to square dances. I had big fun and for once I actually didn't feel uncomfortable being the only person of color in the joint. (i often wonder why I didn't feel uncomfortable-I've had a whole lifetime of being the only POC in many, many, many places and I always feel self-conscious, but I never did there. I even feel self-conscious when I'm not the only POC (like here at work), but that's for another time). Anywho the square dance callers used to fascinate me. I thought what a cool job. I actually thought this was all they did. I didn't realize that this was generally a part-time gig. The callers also have an association. The International Association of Square Dance Callers. So swing your partner over and visit the site (couldn't resist).

Finally a job I had never given much thought to, but I still think it's fascinating nonetheless. For you snow skiers out there I bet you never thought much about the edge of your skies, but there is someone whose job it is to paint the edges of your skies. There title; yep, you guessed it-Ski Edge Painter. This site also contains a listing of some more interesting occupations like Green Tire Inspector, Bowling Ball Patcher and Pneumatic Deicer Inspector.

Now I wonder who makes those giant lifeguard chairs. Hmmmm.....

No comments: